Nov 16, 2021
New England
Hello!

I have a flock of 6 in New England.

1 Buff Orpington - ~3 years
1 Americuana - ~3 years

These two are OG flock mates.

4 Lavender Orps - 1 year this May.

Debbie the buff has been an absolute menace as of late. Getting on the backs of two lavs and biting their necks. To the point where Janice is bald and Priscilla is starting to have some feathers missing.

Debbie did just lose an OG flock mate - Tina, about 3 weeks ago. Maybe she’s grieving? They are also in the run because there is 0 cover from hawks. They’ll be free range again in spring.

I’m thinking we are going into bullying territory. Do I work with boredom busters? (I’ve tried everything) it works for a bit then they finish and she’s out for blood. Do I lock her in the broody breaker? Pinless peepers?

Update: coop is 4x8 and run is 8x16. The lavs sleep in the run and the two OGs sleep in the coop. They are connected.

All advice is so welcome. Thank you so much!

Pic 1-Janice
Pic 2-Priscilla (just starting to be picked on)
Pic 3-the problem child

Attachments

• A816601B-D1D9-41BA-AF5E-36806E70DA7D.jpeg
    A816601B-D1D9-41BA-AF5E-36806E70DA7D.jpeg
    599.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 30D8753C-75D8-4100-9BBF-6760401C6919.jpeg
    30D8753C-75D8-4100-9BBF-6760401C6919.jpeg
    681.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2ECD8D48-57B1-4D07-8814-38DF47B8C8F0.jpeg
    2ECD8D48-57B1-4D07-8814-38DF47B8C8F0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
It's not grief.
You have a bully hen on your hands.
I have not had any experience with pinless peepers.
Like @Shadrach said, a rooster might be a good addition to your flock. After all, if he becomes mean, you can always have dinner ;)
How big is your coop/run? your hens might just not have enough space.

What are the dimensions of their run and coop? Do they have run clutter to hide under?
Coop is 4x8 and attached run is 8x16. They have a little ramp they can hide under and a higher level that the littles can jump up to. Debbie (the bully) won’t go up there.

It's not grief.
You have a bully hen on your hands.
I have not had any experience with pinless peepers.
Like @Shadrach said, a rooster might be a good addition to your flock. After all, if he becomes mean, you can always have dinner ;)
How big is your coop/run? your hens might just not have enough space.
Coop is 4x8 and attached run is 8x16x8. They have a little ramp they can hide under and a higher level that the littles can jump up to. Debbie (the bully) won’t go up there. And I let them frolic in the yard when we are all out (me, husband, and 80lb pup). It started right when Tina died. That’s what’s so strange.

I would try the pinless peepers before adding a rooster.
Only reason to have a rooster would be desire for fertle eggs.
Peepers will stop the bullying right now!
More clutter in there space is good. Also you never go wrong adding more room.
With peepers, She will be busy figuring out how to eat, drink and get around.
The other girls will appreciate it.
Leave them on for 3 or 4 weeks and see how it goes.
If she goes right back to it. Maybe think about rehoming her.
Her personality may just not be a good fit for your flock.

Try putting some boredom busters in first. Then try the Pinless Peepers. If you don't want to do the Pinless Peepers, put her in "jail" for two weeks to a whole month. That'll take her out of habit and possibly pecking order. If you do Pinless Peepers, do them for two weeks. Not longer, because they can cause irritation and nasal issues if left on longer. Also, an experiment I'm going to be doing soon, is doing an anti-capitalism spray on the birds. (I'm currently dealing with a whole flock plucking issue.)

Issues like this bullying, along with plucking, can come from the boring winter months. Honestly, Spring is when my birds looks their worst due to all the bad habits the flocks picked up during the winter. (This is including my crazy broody twice, soon to be third time broody, beard plucker, mounting my hens to the point that they look like a rooster's favorite. And yes, I'm looking for a rooster...)

Back
Top Bottom