Pinless peepers help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fletch83, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Fletch83

Fletch83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Texas
    Hi all,

Well, I've been dealing with a formerly sweet hen who suddenly and with no warning turned into an attack hen. Tried separating her, thought maybe that was doing more harm than good, still, nothing was working. I thought I would give pinless peepers a shot. Now I may be making some newbie mistakes...I soaked them in hot water and it was still quite hard to hold the prongs apart. The hen's nostrils seem way too small for the prongs. Tried placing them on her, well, on the first go I think I must have gotten one prong in the nostril and the other resting on top of the other nostril, which I am sure did not feel good. So I popped them off too try again but I kept having trouble holding the prongs far enough apart, and getting the right placement, like, should they be in the front, middle, or back of the nostril...additionally, on my first go, when I had them on improperly it sounded like the hen was labored in her breathing - might have been because one prong was on top of her nostril and holding it closed, but still, I got worried. Any tips or hints?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have had this trouble with hens and small nostrils. It might help to have someone help you with these types because you need to get the prongs right in that slot without grabbing the skin on the upper nostril. I try to center them too, not too high not too low. If the bird was not labored breathing before you put them on, then they shouldn't be labored breathing with them on. So try it again and have some one help you so you can really pry them open enough to get them on good. Sometimes doing it yourself you can cause them to bleed or you miss and catch skin.

Good luck! I have/had a really mean hen as well. She not only went after the other hens, but went after humans too. LOL Like a rooster! LOL She is nearly 4 years old now and has really settled down enough that she no longer needs to wear them, but she wore them on and off for about 3 years.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I can't imagine how these do not inhibit their breathing...does it turn them into 'mouth breathers'? lol

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    These prongs are not very big and only occupy a small area just inside the nostrils. They are pinless, so they don't go all the way through. As long as the nostril does not get damaged, they will always be able to breath normally. :)

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Guess it's just hard for me to imagine cause I haven't seen it first hand.

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Here is a hen with pinless peepers on.

Here is what they look like...
    https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/pinless_peepers.html

These can do wonders with aggressive birds. If you have serious issues with aggression in your flock and can't or won't send "Henrietta" to the stew pot or can't rehome her either, these may be the answer. Chickens can be brutal with other flock members and killing another of their flock is sometimes the case. This hen here was a comb ripper. I was finding blood all over the place and she even turned on me!! LOL She wore these peepers on and off for about 3 years and now she is a very calm flock leader. I am glad I didn't eat her. :)

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not sure I'd have the patience to put up with that, I plan on eating mine by age 3.
    She is a pretty bird tho.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    LOL....I was sure I could fix her attitude. Well, I did, but it only took 3 1/2 years. [​IMG]

9. Fletch83

Fletch83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Texas
    What a very pretty hen! I couldn't eat mine - they're more pets than anything else, so we're trying everything.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks! I can't eat mine either. That is why this hen had to wear these. She is doing well these days and has calmed way down in her older years. LOL

Good luck with your birds! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by