Pinless Peepers, Yea or Nay

donddon

Songster
Mar 1, 2020
Marlboro, NJ
My flock is well fed, free range, pastured, organic, uncrowded 24/7, not bored, and driving me crazy. Half them are wearing vests, half of those with wing and tail protection. Still, feathers are fair game. Will peepers endanger them whilst they are out at pasture for pretty much all daylight hours? I'm told they are banned in UK. Any thoughts? Thanks! *Hen in pic is not mine, I found this online.*
102_0755.JPG

I used Pinless Peepers on a bully hen. She had 3X bloodied other chickens. It was Peepers or the Crock Pot.
peepers.jpg
It stopped the bullying. She couldn't peck the others. She could eat, drink, roost, forage, etc. She was still free range. She was still the leader of the flock, but didn't hurt the others.
After a few months, I removed them and she was reformed. She became a benevolent ruler. I am glad we tried the Peepers.
I suggest you watch youtube videos on how to put them on. You need 2 people, one to hold the bird, the other to place the peeper in the nostrils. You do not need to buy a tool. Just put the peeper in very hot water to make it more flexible. Practice flexing it before putting it on. The chicken will be disoriented at first, try to remove it, but will get used to it after an hour or so.

I used Pinless Peepers on a bully hen. She had 3X bloodied other chickens. It was Peepers or the Crock Pot.
View attachment 2161428
It stopped the bullying. She couldn't peck the others. She could eat, drink, roost, forage, etc. She was still free range. She was still the leader of the flock, but didn't hurt the others.
After a few months, I removed them and she was reformed. She became a benevolent ruler. I am glad we tried the Peepers.
I suggest you watch youtube videos on how to put them on. You need 2 people, one to hold the bird, the other to place the peeper in the nostrils. You do not need to buy a tool. Just put the peeper in very hot water to make it more flexible. Practice flexing it before putting it on. The chicken will be disoriented at first, try to remove it, but will get used to it after an hour or so.
My Silkie is the biggest culprit. Since she's the most vulnerable when outside the run, I was hesitant. Thank you. I think I'll give it a try.

My Silkie is the biggest culprit. Since she's the most vulnerable when outside the run, I was hesitant. Thank you. I think I'll give it a try.
I don't guarantee it will be safe free ranging. As a blinder, it will certainly limit vision. We were lucky back then, went for a few years free ranging with only one or two losses, raising replacements. We aren't letting any of our chickens free range currently, because of a hawk attack in Jan. Free ranging is always a risk. This is a whole other subject tho.

The rooster situation is being handled. The vests are working out nicely. My Silkie picks feathers at the butts of the rest of the flock. This seems to have abated, somewhat, since the weather has improved and they all get out of the run all day. My Barred Rock hen is another story. She pulls and eats feathers from the most convenient bird.

Back
Top Bottom