Pinless Peepers

Britt007

Songster
6 Years
Dec 5, 2013
Nashville
I found some info by searching on here but I still have a question. In the past, pecking order has gotten sorted out by 2-3 weeks but I still have a hen clunking another hen on the head. Has anyone found that by wearing a pinless peeper for a short period of time (the chicken, not you) it has chilled the pecking culprit into not being so much of a bully? I wouldn't want this gal to wear it for a long time. Thanks! (photo from online source)

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 16
I started having a feather picking problem with 3 of my 5 Golden Comets, when I switched to a 16% layers feed.
I switched back to a 18% feed and they continued to pick.
That's when I bought the Pinless Peepers.
I had them on the worst offender for 3 weeks. That did the trick. I haven't had to use again, since January 2018.
If you have a galvanized hanging feeder, you will need something more open, my girls couldn't eat from it. I used a small hanging pail like I use for Oyster Shells. 20180128_110818.jpg
Get the peepers with the groove for their combs. 20180128_101303.jpg . GC

Thanks, Pig Whisperer, I think that's great advice but the situation has improved-and something tells me Tammy will always be the boss. My other hen was the follower with her late pal. They seem to like hanging out together (unfortunately there are just two) but then for no reason, the peck bandit will come over and clunk the other one on the head. They have adequate food and pretty much room for two hens but I'm planning on a bigger run and that'll help.

I started having a feather picking problem with 3 of my 5 Golden Comets, when I switched to a 16% layers feed.
I switched back to a 18% feed and they continued to pick.
That's when I bought the Pinless Peepers.
I had them on the worst offender for 3 weeks. That did the trick. I haven't had to use again, since January 2018.
If you have a galvanized hanging feeder, you will need something more open, my girls couldn't eat from it I used a small hanging pail like I use for Oyster Shells.View attachment 1834849
Get the peepers with the groove for their combs.View attachment 1834846. GC
Thanks, GC. I like the idea that it worked and could be removed. I'll see if things naturally get calmer in the next week or two.

Back
Top Bottom