1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pinless peepers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JensChickies, Dec 14, 2014.

1. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Does anybody have experience with pinless peepers? For the first time I put a pair on a mean hen last night. I feel bad obstructing her view, but that little booger terrorizes my other 2 hens that are below her in the pecking order.

I was watching her eat and I feel bad...it seems like she doesn't know where to peck since she can't see. Does she just need time to get used to them and figure out how to peck at food? Any help would be appreciated. :)

2. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    Anybody???

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No first hand experience, but have read that it can take time for them to get used to them.

You'll find a ton to read with this search:
    advanced search>titles only>pinless peepers

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When it comes to eating, chickens will always figure a way. It varies from bird to bird, depending on temperament and intelligence, how quickly they will adjust, but they always do. They aren't completely blinded. They have no problem seeing straight down, and side to side and up. It's only straight ahead that their vision is hindered.

5. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014

Thank you for your response. I put them on Saturday evening and she is doing much better. She's even figuring out how to peck at my other hens now. But at least she can't chase them, so that has brought some relief to my other hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by