Pintail ducklings wanted in early June

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaumlauf, Mar 15, 2011.

1. kaumlauf

kaumlauf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Hi everybody...I'm looking to buy young Pintail ducklings in early June, to hand raise for ease of handling while I make a sculpture of them. I live in Northwestern PA, and can drive to pick them up. Does anyone have a source? I know someone mentioned a duck raiser near Butler, PA, which is pretty close to me. My email is [email protected] and home phone is 814-398-1398.

Two years ago I had 6 black duck ducklings from Tractor supply. I didn't spend enough time with them, and they were sort of wild most of the time. They eventually flew away. But, they were very entertaining while I had them. Sadly though, some varmint got into their enclosure, (I think a mink or weasel) and bit the head off one, and departed with the rest of him. This year we plan on making a much more secure enclosure. Last year we had 10 Khaki Campbells, which remained very wild and hyper. The poor things seemed to be in a constant state of panic. This year, I plan to purchase the ducklings when my job is more flexible, and spend time with them twice a day or more, to tame the little tykes.What is a good amount of time to spend with ducklings to keep them tame?

Thank you all.
    Katt in-Cambridge Springs

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. beehuntertrapper

beehuntertrapper New Egg

Jun 2, 2010
    I know a breeder in ny if you still need them

3. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    The more time the better! I keep my brooder in a room with as high a traffic flow as possible (living room or kitchen?)I usually spend at least an hour or 2 a day with ducklings. And inviting some friends and family members over for duckling play time is always a great idea. (Its not just people they need to be used to. being comfortable being touched and man handeled as well as hearing unussual sounds and sights will help keep your ducks calm!)
    And remeber to keep handeling several times daily into adulthood, or they will become timid.

Emily

4. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] my mom is in butler right now lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by