Pip 2 days early.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jay262, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Im hatching blue copper maran eggs one piped 2 days early. I also have silkie eggs and americuna egg but anyhow not to get off subject.

He has piped 2 days early now 12 hours later has made no progress at all how long should i leave the egg before helping my humidity is at 55 percent which is what i do all my hatching at and have never lost one due to shrinkwrapping before. How does one know when there shrink wrapped and when should i become worried about this little guy i find it odd he pipped so early i had these eggs shipped from a long ways away all left in incubator were developed to term.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. mychickenbrood

mychickenbrood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central Valley CA.
    Sorry, but i have no expereince. I just wanted to tell you thanks for sharing this. I love those dark eggs!

Good luck with the little guy. Let us know if it made it. I'll be watching this thread.

3. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had early pippers before they they can take 36 hrs before they start to zip. I don't worry about them drying since the hole is small. If they get half zipped and stop for hours then I worry they might start to dry and get stuck. I think your chick is fine it has a nice hole for air.

4. Jay262

Apr 21, 2009
    Thx for the reply and since i posted he has been pipped 13 hours and has well over half way zipped in under a hour i think he will be ok :). Sometimes all we need is a little patience thats the hard part.

5. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some that have been pipped since yesterday and just now starting to zip. I think they need time after they pip to absorb the yolk and start breathing air to prepare for the big job if zipping.

I don't help any pipped eggs, but i will help part way zipped eggs if they are still alive when I think the rest are done hatching. I think if a chick isn't strong enough to get past a pip there is a good chance something might be wrong with it. I'm so afraid I will have to cull a deformed living chick. I'd rather leave it in Gods hands.

6. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    I had the TINIEST pip last night and this morning nothing more .... and then while I was in the shower it zipped out in 20 mins???? Waiting is so hard!!!

7. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington

[​IMG] darn chicks... they do have a plan of there own dont they!?

8. Jay262

Apr 21, 2009
    Lol thats a fact the hard part is keeping hands otta incubator i promise myself i wont touch it post to post which is why i keep posting.

9. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by