Pip and quit

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Suzierd, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Can someone give me advice soon! My eggs are piped then quite its been 24 hours now for the dirt one, I can't get my humidity up its been running 44' I'm going to go buy a humidifier or set up a styrofoam box for them to get the humidity up, is it to late since they piped? Should I go ahead and help them out? Please advise!

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    they will pip hole then rest 12-24 hrs. don't help. just because they pip doesn't mean they are fully ready to hatch. good luck be patient!

3. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thank you Gimmie! I got them in the styrofoam home made incubator and my humidity is above 60 now I feel much better. And they are busting thru, they have holes now so Thank God. They really got active since the temps are better. I really appricheate your reply this is nerve racking stuff.

4. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    here's my home made bator- 8''x9'' 15 w bulb dry hatch- the little white dish in second pic has a bit of water in it everyother day or so my hatches have been small but 100%.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the chicks below are the chicks from these eggs, same order, we were still waiting on the blue one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these blue eggs I took out for photo op. they were hatching chicks in next pic were this years.[​IMG]
    this last pic was the first batch I hatched out.
    [​IMG]

5. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Wow amazing what works, cute chicks! How long do you wait before you pull the newly hatched chick out?

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I waited until there was a few that had hatched and they were tossing the other eggs about/ running walking. day 2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by