Pip at the wrong end of the egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adorable, Jul 28, 2010.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    My first pip is at the wrong end of the egg. It is at the narrow end. IS there something i should watch for or do?

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Make sure the chick is breathing. If it's not breathing, you will have to rush in and clear some shell and membrane for it because it has no air cell to breathe from. If it is breathing, keep an eye on it in case it shifts itself so it CAN'T breathe anymore.

3. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Thanks. I think you just save that chick..I did what you said. The membrane wasnt broken. I broke it with tweesers..JUst a little bit. Looked at it under a strong light. It is breathing. Thanks. That was a first for me. Now i know what to do .

4. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I forgot to ask. What about when it starts to zip?Will it have air in the shell to zip?

5. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    They usually zip around the edge of the air cell, but from pip to zip can be a while because they rest for quite some time after pipping usually. If there are still veins in the membrane, then you probably will have to wait and watch... if the membrane you pipped for it was a pale brown or cream color with no veins (wet the membrane with a q-tip and see if the veins light up red), then it should be able to zip at any time. If it were my egg, I would be watching it like a hawk in case it got stuck somewhere it couldn't breathe and I would probably help create a zip line for it (assuming it was safe to work, meaning a 'dead' membrane). If there ARE veins, just leave it be as long as you can see it breathing. Veins indicate that it has not finished absorbing the yolk and is not ready to exit the shell.

6. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert County MD
    just wait and watch

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have had quite a few pip at the wrong end. They have always been able to hatch out themself, without intervention.

8. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ok. Thanks. I will just leave it and hope for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by