1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pip at wrong end- anything I should do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dovecanyon, Jan 24, 2010.

1. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    One of my FCBM eggs has just pipped at the small end. Is there anything I should do? So far, the only thing I did was quickly reach in and kinda tip it up a little so the pip is up. Sure don't want to lose this expensive chick! Thanks!!!

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Keep a close watch on it. It's dangerous pipping at the small end. They usually die. I hope yours doesn't!!!

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I just had one hatch that pipped at the wrong end...I learned the hard way this year that if they don't hatch on their own, they weren't supposed to hatch at all, so I just left it alone, and it hatched on it's own, really pretty fast too! Good luck! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    My only egg out of 6 to hatch this year pipped on the small end also, I left it for 8 hours and after seeing no progress I started to help chip away the egg shell over the course of 3 hours she finally hatched aided by me and she's fine [​IMG] this was the first time I have had a chick pip at the wrong end too, wonder what causes it? the aircell was ok in this egg and the egg remained air cell up for the 18 days of incubation and then left on it's side for the remaining 3.

5. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    A while back, I had the first "wrong-end-pip" of my own. I hatch with the eggs in cartons, so I didn't even know about it until it was way too late for that peep. I just figure, "oh well, t'warnt meant to be."

However, in all honesty, I have helped a few peeps hatch early on when they were having a hard time due to poor incubation method. Those were peeps that were meant to be, but had a hard time hatching due to my foul-up, so I helped a few and got some beautiful, healthy, expensive chickens out of it.

6. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Just had one hatch 2 days ago that was breech. She (he?) is doing fine but had a very difficult time getting out but made it [​IMG] Beautiful blue araucana

7. chickluver:D

chickluver:D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    maryland
    wait. if nothing happens or if it starts peeping/crying/squeking chipaway at the shell a bit so it can more air.
    good luck [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Any news on the chick??? [​IMG]

9. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    I had to help it just a little bit, but it is hatched and doing fine! It's funny that the other FBCM egg did the same thing. Both are up and around. Thanks everyone for helping me sit on my hands until the last minute!

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    YAY!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] GOOD JOB!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by