Pip but no zip yet

annaagarland

Chirping
Aug 2, 2021
my mallard duck egg pipped at around 9 this morning. It’s now 7:30 this evening and nothing much else has happened. I also don’t see him moving around anymore…. Is this normal? Does the hole look big enough for it to breath?

Attachments

• A73BD9CD-30F8-4104-939A-F031E249D64E.jpeg
    A73BD9CD-30F8-4104-939A-F031E249D64E.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 46
Ducklings can take up to 48 hours to hatch from the first external pip (the waiting is torture). And the pip looks just fine. I would not attempt to assist until that 48 hours is up because it's very important that the duckling has absorbed the remains of the yolk.

Let us know how you get on.

What day was the pip and did you do an assist hatch on this egg.
I did not assist. He externally pipped yesterday morning at around 9. Was moving some at 330 that afternoon. By 7:30 it wasn’t moving at all. Or peeping. This morning was also no movement or peeping. I knew that it was likely dead this morning but was going to give it more time just in case. So when I got home a little while ago it was the same. And I knew for a fact it was dead then. Opened it to find this. I did not assist at all.

It looks like that the insides are out and didn't develop the right way this happened to me where mine was alive and I waited.the movement stopped and actually the brain wasn't developed and there was no shell around it it could be genetics but I don't think you did anything wrong I just think it happens sometimes I'm so sorry cuz it looks like it's really not the yolk it looks like more of red and the insides of it

So basically what I think happened is the baby was born with her insides out. Just happens I'm sorry for your loss. Did you notice anything wrong with the beak if it was crossed or anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom