Pip but no zip

Luviesmom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 3, 2014
Sandhills of North Carolina
Hello,
I purchased some silkie eggs and they were shipped during the arctic freeze. Thankfully, two have hatched and are healthy. I didn't want to have one lonely chick. The third pipped about this time last night but has not made much progress. It pipped high and seems to be trying to zipper horizontal instead of counter clockwise. The official day 21 is tonight at 9Pm. Guess the other two hatched early. They have been rolling the remaining three eggs all over the incubator, not sure if this disoriented the one that pipped 24 hrs ago. I am using a brinsea mini.
I have only hatched large fowl and they seemed to hatch quickly. These silkies seem to pip, rest for a long period and zip quickly. My questions are, should I remove the two live chicks into the brooder to limit playing soccer with the remaining three eggs. Should I try to help the egg that has pipped 24 hrs ago? Or just keep my hands off and wait till morning, leaving the hatched chicks in bator too?
Thank you!

I see you posted more than 14 hours ago, so before I offer advice can you give us an update?

I ending up helping it this morning. It is alive but weak. I bought an ecoglow brooder and they do not seem interested in food or water, just staying under the brooder will try and get some pictures later. Thank you.

Dribble a little sugar water on it's beak, it may help perk it up a bit. Don't worry about offering it anything else yet. They can live for 3 days off the yolk they absorb just before they hatch, but you can offer them some water tomorrow, if they're stronger. Good luck!

All are well, 3 paints and a splash.

Back
Top Bottom