Pip but no zip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by new2me, Mar 16, 2015.

1. new2me

new2me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2014
    Okay, I'll start off by saying this is the first time we've incubated eggs, and I have done research....but I don't feel like I know that much about it. The first of the eggs pipped yesterday, but didn't make progress at all througout the day. I can hear it peeping and see it's little beak. I read around to see at what point I should help, and it said if the membrane is dry and turning brown it needs help, but what kind of help? Should I open the membrane? Last night we chipped away some of the shell so it could zip out easier, but this morning there's still no progress. We are over 24 hours now. What should I do for this poor thing?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Well, first off I would advise you to read this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching if you haven't. Best assisted hatching info I have found. If and when you do, remember to do it at intervals slowly, giving the chick time to rest and attempt to finish on it's own. Moisten the membrane before putting the chick back in the bator each time. Good luck and keep us posted to how it's all going. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask and hopefully we can answer.

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yes, read the above link if you haven't already. It is really good!

Can you post a pic of the egg? They do often rest for about 24 hours from their initial external pip until they start their zip, so it may not have been ready to proceed yesterday. What day of incubation is it for this egg?

4. new2me

Mar 15, 2014
    It made progress throughout the day today and is almost all the way out, but it's almost like it's stuck in the shell. Stuck like the shell is sticky and matted to the chick. What can I do about that? This is day 22.

5. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Ok, good to hear it made some progress, but if the membrane is dried onto the chick you need to moisten the area that is stuck with warm water and very gently pull the membrane off the little guy's feathers. Be sure not to get the little guy too wet or any water into the beak, of course. It won't be able to come out on it's own if the membrane is dried onto it. It's like glue. It'll keep fighting to get out and become exhausted, and possibly not make it.

Do you have others hatching as well? Try not to open the incubator more than absolutely necessary and get that humidity up in there so the others don't get dried out as well. Good luck and keep us updated! :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  6. new2me

Mar 15, 2014
    Thanks for the help. We got the little thing all cleaned up and out of the shell last night. I did have to moisten the membrane to get it all out.

We do have another chick that pipped tonight. Hopefully it'll hatch on its own.

I took this one out of the humid incubator tonight and put it in the brooder with the heat light because I thought the bator was too hot, but I'm worried about this little one being alone. [​IMG]

7. Orca5094

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    It'll be ok alone for now, they typically take a day or so to rest up and get more active after the tiring hatching process anyway. Hopefully those other guys will be out soon to join him! :)

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I'm glad to hear it's out and you got em cleaned up. Hopefully it'll have some buddies soon!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by