Pip early, should I leave them alone????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JustPeachy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. JustPeachy

JustPeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Waynesboro, Ga
    So I got up this morning prepared to add water to the incubator and remove the disc that turns my eggs and prepare for them to be in lockdown and I walk into the kitchen to hear them cheeping... [​IMG] So my question is this, should I just leave them alone and hope there is enough water in there? Also, will it matter that they won't really be able to move the eggs or do I need to remove the disc so they can move the eggs around to get out. This is my first ever hatch so I have no idea what to do as far as just leaving them alone or risking opening the incubator and handling them to remove the disc and add water.... [​IMG] Please help me out! Thanks!

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I would continue with your lock down just do it quickly and safely. I don't know anything about disc's. I have a hovabator and it has a turner, that little legs can get stuck in. Good luck you should have babies in a day or so.

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:x2

4. JustPeachy

JustPeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Waynesboro, Ga
    I have a Brinsea and there is a disc on the bottom that rotates to turn the eggs, it recommends removing the disc at lockdown but I don't see any way they could get caught in it. I was just afraid of putting them back in and they not be exactly in the same position... but they wouldn't really be able to rock or move the eggs with it in there, will they do much of that? Or do the eggs pretty much stay still where they are? Hopefully they will be ok... [​IMG]

5. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    havent really seen my egg hatch.. im pretty sure they stay in one spot mostly.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    They will be fine stop guessing and take it put and lock them down and don't open again until they hatch. I don't understand what you mean by will they move around? After a couple hatch the will move the other eggs by walking around. But all will be fine.
    Good luck

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If there aren't any pips yet you should be fine to quickly remove the turner and add more water. It's really only once they start pipping the shells that opening the bator risks shrinkwrapping them. The eggs don't need to be able to move around to hatch okay - lots of people hatch with the eggs sitting upright in egg cartons. If you're worried about moving the eggs now and not putting them back in the same position they were in while sitting in the turner, I'd say just do your best and don't worry too much about it. If they're cheeping, they're doing okay so far. Just get your humidity up then try to relax...

8. John Chicken GB

John Chicken GB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Great Britain
    Quote:and dont forget to breathe , whoo whoo whoo , you know the drill . lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by