Pip on Day 18 but no peeping??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mebberry4, Apr 15, 2012.

1. mebberry4

mebberry4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    I put my incubator on lock down late last night and woke up this morning at 5:30 am to a pip in one of my orpington eggs! I can't hear any peeping and the egg is not rocking or rolling.
    Should I be concerned? My incubator temperature has been a little on the high side, so maybe I will have an early hatch? Any advice would be great... [​IMG]

2. Coenobita

Coenobita Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    I'm sure they are fine! I don't have that much experience hatching but my eggs were very quiet most of the time, and it takes a while until they start rocking around. It was when they started "zipping" around the shell when they started to move.. Also, I have heard people on here saying that higher temperature = earlier hatch, but I personally don't really know about that! Good luck on your hatch! [​IMG]

3. mebberry4

mebberry4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    It peeps when I sprinkle water on the shell (away from the pip of course)!!
    Thank you~ I guess I was kind of expecting it to be peeping most of the time and I worried no peeping meant it was not breathing. I have read so many stories of chicks drowning in their shells... I didn't want that to be happening.
    Now that I know there is a chick breathing and peeping and probably just taking some time to absorb the rest of the yolk I feel more relaxed.... until the next pip!! [​IMG]

What kind of eggs did you hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by