1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pip on underside of shell...advice???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tink0602, Jun 8, 2011.

1. tink0602

tink0602 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Of my 8 Muscovy duck eggs, so far 6/8 have pipped. One pipped with an actual hole, but it is on the underside of the shell. Is that bad? should I try to turn it with a straw or something? or should I just let it be? I hear lots of tapping and peeping but can't tell from which eggs. Also, my first egg is at about 36 hours post external pip...I have heard they can go as long as 48, but what if it goes longer? 1 pip night before last, 2 yesterday late afternoon, and 3 more this morning...when should I expect some zipping...I am going crazy just looking in there and seeing eggs!!

Thank you!!!!!!!

2. giggleboxfarm

giggleboxfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Central KY
    The 1st and last ones are the worst I swear. You keep waiting for action. I've had some eggs that pip towards the top of the egg and then got rolled over by their hatched siblings and they hatched fine. Just one more thing to make us crazy [​IMG]

3. LilMissPetie

LilMissPetie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Michigan
    I am going crazy too. I had 5/8 pipped, one got right to it and zipped, so still waiting for the others. I hope they come soon, this one sure needs a buddy [​IMG]

4. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    Quote:How are your little ones over there??

5/8 have hatched including the underside pipper and the first pipper that took about 48 hours before it zipped!! It didn't really matter that the pip was on the underside, because once they started hatching it was like bumper eggs in there and they were rolling all over the place. [​IMG]

5. tink0602

May 7, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. greening

greening Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    just leave it, it will be fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by