1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pip oozing??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickensista, May 15, 2008.

1. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Is this a sign that something went wrong with the chick? This is different from a rotten oozing egg, isn't it? Should I get it out of the bator, or wait for the hatch to finish?
    Chicks started pipping this AM, and one is out.
    Thank you!
    Terry

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Leave it be. My guess your humidity for the first 18 days was a bit high.

3. lsuphillier1

lsuphillier1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    Quote:I think your chick is dying or is already dead. I would intervene...pull away from the pip and see if you have a moving beak. If so, put it back in and if you have much of the white membrane exposed, wrap it with a warm, moist paper towel, preferrably below the exposed beak.

4. chickensista

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    I think your chick is dying or is already dead. I would intervene...pull away from the pip and see if you have a moving beak.

I took the egg out this AM. It was dead. I don't know if I could have saved it if I had intervened earlier.... I do have 6 chicks that have hatched, one almost out and at least one more pipped. I started with 20, tossed one around day 16. Not a great %, but hoping more have or will pip soon. This evening starts Day 22, so there is still time.

I guess my question is, if the humidity was too high would the others have hatched out so easily? Wondering if its just this egg or the conditions were off... I candled on Day 18(the silkies anyway) and the air cells looked large.

Thank you for your help.
    Terry​

5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    If you are using a still air incubator, this egg was in a location where the temps were not correct. Did the chick have super sticky clear stuff oozing out the pip hole? If so, that can be caused by improper temps, usually too low.

6. chickensista

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    If you are using a still air incubator, this egg was in a location where the temps were not correct. Did the chick have super sticky clear stuff oozing out the pip hole? If so, that can be caused by improper temps, usually too low

Hi Cindy,
    Its a forced air bator. Brand new Genesis 1588. Directions say to trust the factory settings first time around. According to my thermometer is was on for the first 18 days. For whatever reason it was lower after they came off the turner. From 100degrees to 98.8 or so. I wasn't going to fool with any settings mid hatch, so... The humidity was 48-54% if my readings are correct. I put a second therm/hygrom in at 18 days and the 2 have very close readings.
    But yes, the chick pipped. After awhile I noticed an amber, sticky fluid oozing out. When I took the egg out the ooze had hardened. I can see a second egg with the same stuff now. [​IMG]

I had an electric turner, and I only candled a few times. I didn't notice any spikes either. Maybe I'll do a run with the bator after this hatch and see what readings I get.

This is my first hatch and I'm happy to have the 7 running around so far(and 8th half out). Maybe by the end of the hatch I'll have at least a 50% hatch rate? Hoping to do better next time.

Thanks!
    Terry​

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    When you take the eggs out of a turner the temps drops for hours before it comes back up to normal...

Not sure on the oozing...might be the chicks had other problems if you have two now doing that....my thoughts....

Humidity levels for the last 3 days are?....

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I had 2 chicks pip which did not hatch. A small amount of fluid crystalized around the pip site. The other chicks did fine. I think sometimes a chick just doesn't hatch.

9. chickensista

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Hi TOH and Gina,
    The humidity since day 18 (tonight is 22) was 67-76% - according to 2 hygrometers. It went higher when they started hatching. I hadn't opened the bator since taking them off the turner until I grabbed the oozer.
    Could bad shipping do this? I had 2 shipments that arrived the same day and both had broken eggs. These are from 2 people on BYC that ship frequently and package well. Maybe some nut decided to shake the boxes that sad "fragile, eggs".
    Currently I have 4 silkies out of 7 eggs(one has a pip) and 5 welsummers out of 13 eggs. Happy to have the chicks, but hoping to figure out what went wrong.
    Thank you,
    Terry

10. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    same here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by