Pip, Pip Hooray! Imported English Orpingtons Hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SouthernCalBeachChick, Jan 5, 2014.

1. SouthernCalBeachChick

SouthernCalBeachChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Southern California
    This is my first ever hatch. I'm using a Brinsea Mini Advance. I ended up getting 2 of those and they're incredibly easy to use. Just add water to one side of reservoir every few days. Temperature is very steady at 99.5. I started with 8 shipped eggs that arrived very carefully wrapped & packed. They were shipped across the country during winter, so I'm pretty ambitious. When I candled with an ovascope at day 7, 4 appeared infertile, 1 of those was very porous. I removed them and cracked them, definitely infertile. The air cells are crazy looking in the remaining eggs, more than saddle shaped. For my next batch of shipped eggs, Iwon't turn them for the first few days in the incubator. Movement visible in remaining 4 eggs. Yesterday I went into lockdown & heard peeping!! One is pipping/ zipping (started last night). Tomorrow is 21 days and I'm beyond excited (and also scared about complications & having weird hatching dreams about the temp spiking and my eggs catching on fire!).
    I also have 8 blue Marans eggs, that I got locally from a breeder in my other incubator. 8/9 were fertile and are progressing. Due exactly one week after my orpingtons.
    Really wonderful experience with both breeders who are BYC members!

2. kenzier093

kenzier093 Chillin' With My Peeps

The only problem I had when hatching was the one needed help getting out. So we very carefully pulled the shell off. 11/12 lived. The one that didn't died in the egg.

3. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    Just clam down it all will work out but congratulation I finally got an incubator yay im happ

4. SouthernCalBeachChick

Jul 17, 2011
    Southern California
    My first chick just hatched!! Day 20. Now she/he is waiting for his friends to pip.

5. kenzier093

That's awesome! I was so excited when my first chick hatched. I'm going to try and hatch out guinea eggs in the spring. What kind of eggs are you hatching?

6. SouthernCalBeachChick

Jul 17, 2011
    Southern California
    I'm doing a staggered hatch: 4 Blue / Splash English Orpingtons on lockdown. One hatched, two pipped. Next Monday I have 8 Blue Marans due.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  7. kenzier093

That's awesome! We hatched some barred rock chicks out. It was pretty cool watching them hatch.

8. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    LOL omg I thought I was the only one! I am super stressed worrying about my eggs right now.. I had the weirdest dream about them last night... an egg I thought was fine, when I touched it it was soft-shelled and nightmarish HAHAHA problems!!

literally anything you can do to take your mind off it... cleaning... reading... it's the only way! [​IMG]

PS Pics please!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by