Pip Pip Pip! But have concerns.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lunar Ice, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Lunar Ice

Lunar Ice Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Mocksville, NC
    It was a nice surprise to get up this morning and see one of my eggs pipped...but now I'm a little unsure. The chick has pecked a large enough hole that I can see movement in the egg and if I talk to it (yes, I talk to my incubator...) it peeps like crazy, but it hasn't made any progress at all hardly since this morning around 10am (EST). It's now nearing 8pm....should I be worried? This little guy/girl was the first to pip....and the other eggs are starting to pip, but how long is too long for the first little one?

My temp is 101.2, humidity is steady at 80%, still air incubator.

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I had eggs pip at 8 am and not hatch until 2am the next morning sometimes they just pip early and then wait a while before continuing

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I usually wait at least 30 hours before starting to help. If the hole doesn't get any bigger in that amount of time you might want to start helping. That is a judgement call. [​IMG]

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Leave it. The baby should hatch by the am.

5. Lunar Ice

Lunar Ice Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Mocksville, NC
    Thanks guys.
    This is my first hatch, so everyone in the house (me included!) keeps pacing around the incubator, expecting. [​IMG]

6. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Yep you will think that chicky isn't going to ever come out, go to the bathroom for 5 min and come back to find a new baby! And I talk, sing and peep to my bator all the time;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by