1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pip Question (currently happening)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Robbo, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Robbo

Robbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Idaho
    First time hatching. Under a broody and incubator. Broody hatched all. Incubator is going amazing! 3 out, 2 pipped and 1 I have a question about.

The 1 question, it pipped, a large hole, but didn't zip. It now has its whole beak out chirping and breathing. Should I still leave it? Will it go back in and zip? I certainly don't want to mess with anything and mess it up - but I also don't want to watch and let it go when I could be doing something.

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    How long has it been like this? Some chicks take a long rest before they get to the process of unzipping. I certainly wouldn't do anything until well after the other two that are pipped are out. I know, it can be hard to just watch and wait, but trying to help too soon can result in a lost chick.[​IMG]

Congrats on the results so far, and good luck with the rest of your hatch!

3. Robbo

Mar 20, 2013
    Idaho
    Thank you. It has been about 10hrs only. I just got home from work and its still in the same position but still breathing with its peak out of the shell. One is currently zipping and pushing and one has zipped half way and stopped for now.

My last egg has pip in it too! So it looks like out of 11 eggs I might have a 100%! My broody hatched 3 of them and I did 8.

4. Robbo

Mar 20, 2013
    Idaho
    It just hatched. :)

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    [​IMG]

6. KelseyBoxer

KelseyBoxer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    South Jersey
    Good job to both you and the broody. I have found that some pips take almost 24hrs to complete. Any longer and I will start to think about assiting. I worry about shrink and drying of the membrane especially if there is an open hole in the shell. Good luck with those babies! (I love a happy ending!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by