pip with no hatch???? UPDATE PAGE 2 WITH PIC

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick_newbie, May 13, 2009.

1. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    Is it possible to have a chick poke a hole and then die off? I have 1 egg that started to hatch last night and then didn't progress any throughout the night and day today. There is another chick trying to hatch as we speak. Out o 5 eggs, 1 pipped and 1 is trying to zip. How long to wait until trying to intervene with the first egg.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. dab045

dab045 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    Im sorry cant help you with the answer this is my first, but I have the same things happening today. MY FIRST HATCH and this morning crack and some oozing of lite brown stuff and went to work, just got home and nothing is happening, not good huh? and I hope the best for yours.

3. dab045

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    Oh I forgot to mention this is day 22 for my chicken eggs

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I'd wait another day or so. I've had it happen where they pipped but didn't hatch. I left it alone as long as I saw movement in the hole...

5. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    Intervention is a risky thing.

I'd be concerned about the pip and nothing if I could not see movement in the pip or hear peeping. If it is faint peeping, the same. Pick away a small part of the shell and very carefully open the membrane a tiny amount. If the chick is still alive- wrap a warm wet washcloth around the egg and see if the chick works at it some more.

And yes, it is possible for an egg to pip and then die. I had 2 in my last hatch that zipped and then managed to get stuck. I thought they were gone as they had been that way all day- unplugged the bator- started cleaning- only to come back into the room and hear very faint peeps. I was able to get them both out, but only one survived. [​IMG] Strangely enough, my humidity was HIGH- 89% and they shouldn't have dried to the shell- but it happened...

6. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    I'd give it another day...sometimes takes 24 - 36 hours.
    [​IMG]
    keep us informed! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  7. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    Thanks for all the responses! I have been debating about trying to help. I did pick away the tiny bit of shell and made sure it had a hole, but I don't see any movement in it. I don't want to do too much opening as the other chick is trying to get the hole bigger.

Can it be that the membrane is too hard to get through?

8. nstamper2000

nstamper2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    Yeah sometimes they just get tired. I have had to help a couple of times. But you have to do it very carefully and only little bits at a time. If you pull little bits off and see any blood put it back in the incubator and let it sit for a while longer. I would go with your gut feeling. I let a couple of mine go and wish I wouldn't have because they died and the ones I helped are doing wonderful. Just make sure you keep the membrane moist.

9. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    First chick is dead [​IMG] second I did help out and I believe that it was the right decision. The membrane was dry. although the incubator has been running 65 to 70% humidity the last couple of days. I am on day 21 today. What are the chances that the remaining 3 eggs will hatch on their own???

10. dab045

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    I am so sorry for your loss. I am sending great vibes on your remaining hatches!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by