1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pip with no zip, how long to wait?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by samcole, Mar 5, 2017.

1. samcole

samcole New Egg

Mar 3, 2017
    I have an egg that piped yesterday afternoon, and now it's been 27+ hours with hardly any progress, it's just made the pip hole a bit bigger. The pip is closer to the pointy end of the egg too. I can hear it chirping and it wiggles & pushes the membrane by the pip (there is an air hole). I'm just wondering how much longer I should wait before checking on it closer? I have only 1 other egg that pipped this morning and it has a hole bigger that the first ones. None of the other eggs have an visible pips, and it's day 21. Thoughts, advice? Sorry for the terrible picture, my phone doesn't do well thought the incubator walls. [​IMG]

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

:welcome

I start an assist about 24 hours after pip if no progress. If there is still prominent veining or blood I stop and replace the egg no give it more time, but I at least start assisting at that point.

3. samcole

samcole New Egg

Mar 3, 2017
    Conveniently, my other chick decided now was the time to start unzipping, so I will wait for that one to finish and dry off before reassessing the slow poke. Little guy is trying so hard, with no luck at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by