Pip with no zips

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BKlipstine1, Oct 12, 2011.

1. BKlipstine1

BKlipstine1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Today is day 21 for my hatch and this is my first time doing this so Im nervous... We had our first pip at 5 am this morning and still no zip... should i be concerned... i have 10 eggs of which im sure 8 had babys last i candled. Im not sure which egg the chirping is coming from!!! 5 of the 10 have pipped throughout today but just tiny bumps in the shell nothing more.. the first one to pip has pushed the pip a little further out about 1 pm. were going on 14 hours without zip... what should i do??? is this normal?

2. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Sometimes it can take up to 24 hours or more to zip. Make sure you humidity is up around 60% and you should be OK. After 24 hours I would consider looking in to helping but remember you are risking any other eggs that have pipped a shrink wrap which can typically kill them.

I have one myself I'm waiting on, it has been since 9am. I don't have any other visible pips, but I'm not sure if I should risk it. If you do decide to help here's some good info on how.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

3. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    Make sure your humidity is right on, then don't touch the bator. I am lucky and get pip and zip quickly...last one on Sunday pipped and less than 10 minutes later was out on day 20....be patient with that many pips and don't open the bator! Good luck!

4. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    The one I was waiting on finally zipped without assistance. 15 hours I think. Have patience and Keep us posted!

5. ~goingcluckcrazy~

~goingcluckcrazy~ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    I have had quite a few chicks that have taken up to 24 hours to hatch. Make sure you keep the humidity at the right level. I spray mine with warm water if it gets to dry espcially when you can see the chick, works nearly everytime.

6. BKlipstine1

Oct 12, 2011
    Good news!!! 6 out of the 10 hatched without assistance throughout the night.... 4 still have no pip but im pretty sure 2 of those didnt develop i was just terrified to take them out [​IMG] .... today is day 21 until 6:30 pm tonight so i'll keep watching for the others... but 6 out of 10 is pretty good for 1st timer!!! [​IMG] Thanks for all the advice!!!

7. BKlipstine1

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

8. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    [​IMG] Congratulations [​IMG]

Quote:

9. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Hey, those aren't chicks - those are chipmunks [​IMG] So adorable!

10. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Congrats!!! Perfection!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by