pip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hdowden, Nov 8, 2011.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the chick had pipped around 4am today and has made no progress and the membraine at the pip so dry that it is brown is this normal

2. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    What's your humidity at?

3. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    70 - 80 as i had 3 others hatch and their membrains never looked like this it looks so dry and shirvled at the pip

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Some of mine took a LONG TIME to zip after pip...and one had chip come off and looked dry...so I just put a little drop of warm water on the pip with my finger (but you'd have to break lockdown) You could also lay a smll piece of damp pper towel near the pip, almost make a donut of it around the pip.

5. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the other chicks have been pecking at the egg and its even starting to crack down the middle from the pip (from pip to pointy end) so even more membraine is exposed

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i'm so affarid i am going to loss it [​IMG]

i was also told to chip the shell away a little less than half way

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  7. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Can you remove the other chicks yet? If not, try to separate the egg somehow...egg carton, bowl, etc. Just some sort of barrier. Maybe mist the egg too.

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    is there a set time frame for helping the chick zip any as i know some dont believe in helping. i just cant stay up all night with it and worry that it will get shrink wrapped by morning at this rate

9. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    One thing I have done (and I am no expert)...chip the shell away about a third to half. If the inner membrane still has blood vessels, use a warm damp paper towel to wrap the egg (at least the exposed part) leaving an air hole where the beak is. Every hour or two remove the paper towel to see if the veins are gone...if not, rewrap. Keep doing this until the veins go away, at which point you can open that end of the membrane. I don't help the chick beyond that, though. I feel they need to come out on their own, as they may just still be absorbing yolk. (I did this with 2 bantams a few days ago when they hit day 23+ and had pip'd over a day before...2 had hatched the prior day and 2 died prior to PIP...and the 2 I helped had really dry membranes. I felt like they were shrink wrapping and not going to make it on their own)

Do this at your own risk though, ok? Only what you're comfortable with...and you still have the issue of the other chicks pecking at it.

10. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi hdowden,

Most of what I've read suggests to wait at least 24 hrs before trying to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by