1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ash123, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Ash123

Ash123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    My first chick pipped a hole (through membrane) at 10am and there has been no more progress made. Is this normal? It's alive bc I can see movement from the hole but I can't see enough to make out features of any kind. The hole does look a little high to be in the air sac but I could be wrong. I haven't opened the incubator or anything.

2. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Don't open the incubator. =) Chicks can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours to actually hatch out of their shells completely. My friend's best hen laid an egg that took 33 hours to hatch out, and it ended up being a very healthy chick! Some won't hatch because they're not strong enough. Others won't hatch because there are developmental issues or deformities, and it is best to let them pass away if they don't pop out by themselves. I didn't agree with this at ALL when I first started researching chickens and I thought it was inhumane and cruel to let a chick die in the egg when it's obvious it's alive after it pipped - but it really is the best thing to do for the chick.

That being said, your chick has plenty of time left before I'd start to worry. =) I wish you luck, and praying that your chick(s) hatch successfully and are nice and healthy.

3. Stef82

Stef82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Bucks County, Pa
    Bump up the humidty. Maybe that will help.

4. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Thank you chickybangbang! The humidity has been a pain in the rear. I finally got it to a stable 68 yesterday. That's the best I can do where I'm at:( I have a sponge, 3 rags and the bottom is full of water.

5. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    I think is the one that when I candled noticed it developed in the small part of the shell

6. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    68% humidity is too much. I set mine at 55-60 during lockdown and still have chicks drowned. Try 50-55.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Well 6 out of 8 of my chicks hatched and are healthy. The two unhatched haven't even pipped so im thinking they won't hatch. I have four more in there that should be pipping by tonight (different due dates rookie mistake) we shall see:)

8. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Oh and the hatched chicks have been climbing all over the unhatched and rolling them around:/ I hope they haven't hurt them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by