pipdzipdnreadytogo

Fuzzy Feather Fanatic
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
It's that time of the year already! Today, I made the long, long trip to Ohio to pick up my newest additions to my flock! It's been a long day, but here are the littles at last! :D

Elda the Silver Gray Dorking!

Oh, there's one in every set--you know the one--and Elda is it! She always wants to be in my hand or on my lap. She's pokey and always poking at my fingers or the keyboard or anything else that interests her. And, she's already trying to fly out of the brooder!

Flap-flap-peep-scratch-skitter-thump!

Always with the innocent look... :rolleyes:

Georgette the Black Copper Marans!

Georgie is pretty curious, and she and her 'twin', Louise, have already gone tippy-toes flapping across the brooder. She's very calm when I pick her up and doesn't seem to care where I set her!

Georgie's already the queen of baby stink-eyes. :lol:

Louise the Black Copper Marans!

Louise always seems to look down when I take her picture. She's got the quiet, silently plotting feel to her. I caught her trying to hop up onto the EcoGlow already--and here I thought I'd have some time before having to clean poops off of it!

Caught in the act!

Mabel the Welsummer!

Mabey's the quietly curious type. I hardly heard a peep out of her, in fact, until it started getting dark. Oh, did she yell when it was getting dark! I tucked her in under the EcoGlow and she settled down, though. :love

So fabulous! Mabey it's Mabel-line? :lol:

And finally, Kit the Silver Gray Dorking!

Kit was a last minute addition. I really, really wanted a Dorking last year and it didn't hatch, so I took the opportunity to get a second one while I could! Kit is smaller than Elda, and slower at learning things it would seem! It took her a long time to figure out she had to duck her head to get under the EcoGlow! :th

Kit likes to lean against the EcoGlow instead of going under. :rolleyes: Silly baby!

I have another addition who joined the family yesterday, a young Swedish Flower Hen that was having problems in her flock. I have no pictures of her yet, but will post as soon as I do! I'll also be picking up a couple chicks from another source! As you might be able to tell, right now I have a lot going on! But it's all chicken stuff, so that's what's important. :D

More pictures to come as the babies grow! :weee

And here's a picture overload of the babies today! :weee

I love how exaggerated they are when they drink! Kit nearly tumbles over backwards when she drinks! Here is Elda:

And miss Mabel:

Mabey! Look at this face! :love

The gang's all here! :D Georgie, Elda, Mabel, Louise, and Kit hanging out:

Georgie and Mabel :love

Elda, right where she wants to be :love She looks like she doesn't appreciate the camera interrupting her lap time. :lol:

All hail supreme overlord Elda!

Louise getting right up close and personal with the camera:

Kit laying on the innocent eyes:

Here's Mabel and Kit having lunch:

Elda, because typing's too easy without a chick in the way! :lol:

Kit insisted on coming up, too! These Dorkings are so precious! :love

And finally, the editing team for the post: Kit and Elda!

How do you tell Kit and Elda apart? IDEAL is the only hatchery that has Brown sex links. Their a cross between a White Plymouth rock and a Rhode Island Red. Why are your chicks so tame? My chicks are 3 weeks old and still don't act THAT calm with me. They will sleep on my lap and don't seem afraid of me, but they always run away when I try to pick them up. How do you pick your chicks up?
You seem to be able to name your chicks easily.
Can you help me name my Silkie?

This is her today.

This was her 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Mainly by the patterns on their heads. You can see in this picture, the pattern on Kit's head (on the left) doesn't come to as much of a point as on Elda's head (on the right) :

Plus Kit is a bit smaller and has a bit more of a yellowish tone to her fluff in person (although this picture makes it look like the opposite!).

And this is the most tame set I've ever had. I think it has more to do with the breeds than anything I've done. Dorkings, Marans, and Welsummers are all pretty friendly birds. :D I'm very happy with them, too. They're always trying to fly out of the brooder when I'm sitting by them, and they don't mind at all if I reach in to pet them or pick them up. I just reach in and gently grab them, and they seem alright with me picking them up, although Mabel and Georgie usually peep at me when I do.

And it may seem like I name them easily, but I actually picked their names out over several months. I ordered them back in November, if I recall correctly, and it took me until last month to decide 100% on them! :lol: Then I ended up with an extra Dorking (Kit), so I searched a few books, games, and shows I liked and settled couple names so that the Dorkings would match (Kit and Elda are Griffins in a book I loved! :D ).

Do you know if your Silkie is male or female? S/he looks sooo sweet! :love I can give you a few name suggestions, but I suggest you do an internet search for things like baby names, stories and games you're interested in, and stuff like that, and see if anything sounds right for your little one. :)

Mainly by the patterns on their heads. You can see in this picture, the pattern on Kit's head (on the left) doesn't come to as much of a point as on Elda's head (on the right) :

Plus Kit is a bit smaller and has a bit more of a yellowish tone to her fluff in person (although this picture makes it look like the opposite!).

And this is the most tame set I've ever had. I think it has more to do with the breeds than anything I've done. Dorkings, Marans, and Welsummers are all pretty friendly birds.
big_smile.png
I'm very happy with them, too. They're always trying to fly out of the brooder when I'm sitting by them, and they don't mind at all if I reach in to pet them or pick them up. I just reach in and gently grab them, and they seem alright with me picking them up, although Mabel and Georgie usually peep at me when I do.

And it may seem like I name them easily, but I actually picked their names out over several months. I ordered them back in November, if I recall correctly, and it took me until last month to decide 100% on them!
lol.png
Then I ended up with an extra Dorking (Kit), so I searched a few books, games, and shows I liked and settled couple names so that the Dorkings would match (Kit and Elda are Griffins in a book I loved!
big_smile.png
).

Do you know if your Silkie is male or female? S/he looks sooo sweet!
love.gif
I can give you a few name suggestions, but I suggest you do an internet search for things like baby names, stories and games you're interested in, and stuff like that, and see if anything sounds right for your little one.
smile.png
I'm pretty sure she's a girl. I vent sexed her and she very timid and doesn't even chase the other chicks when they have a treat or anything.
She is the smallest Silkie that we got from the hatchery. I ordered with a friend and I got a Black sex link, Brown sex link, Australorp and a Silkie.
My friend ordered Silkies. I vent sexed her but it was my first time trying it so I don't know how well I was at it.

So it has begun. Louise the sneaky little Marans has twice hopped up onto the EcoGlow this morning. It shall never be clean again. :lol: Anyway...

I'm pretty sure she's a girl.   I vent sexed her and she very timid and doesn't even chase the other chicks when they have a treat or anything.
She is the smallest Silkie that we got from the hatchery.   I ordered with a friend and I got a Black sex link, Brown sex link, Australorp and a Silkie.
My friend ordered Silkies.     I vent sexed her but it was my first time trying it so I don't know how well I was at it.

Ah, I see. Well, Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex, but your little one looks like a partridge Silkie, so you should be able to tell how accurate you were by the time she's feathered out! :) Partridge Silkies are so gorgeous, too! :love It seems like most Silkies are pretty docile like that, although my girl, Marge, is a sassy little thing!

I love your assortment, too! I had an Australorp named Aspen in my first set of chicks and she was a bit shy, but so soft and fluffy. She laid like a trouper, every day with few breaks! I thought about getting another one this year, but I decided to go with a second Dorking because of the one not hatching last year. :D

Well, now Elda has it figured out. :rolleyes: The EcoGlow's cleanliness is doooomed!

Elda's rallying her sisters for an escape, because...

...Look what else she's figured out!

The innocent eyes... Oh, the innocent eyes...

Ah, Elda... :love

Georgie and Louise haven't figured it out yet, fortunately!

Later on, it's lunch time! They've finally all figured out the food! :D

Elda and Kit wash down their lunch:

'Ahh...' :love Oh, Elda!

Back
Top Bottom