Piper's owners came

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Haviris, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Haviris

Haviris Songster

Sep 4, 2007
    It's bittersweet. I guess I'm glad to know she wasn't dumped, but I think she could have gotten a better home.

Today we took her to be scanned for a microchip, she didn't have one, today was exactly one week after we found her and the day I was offically going to start trying to find her a good home. Even had someone at the vet's interested (part of me was considering not trying to hard, and then keeping her!).

Seemed everything we did w/ her here was a new experience for her, she'd never been on a leash, never been in a vehicle (not in the front anyway), never been inside, or up stairs. Didn't know what a dog bed was or dog toy (that one she figured out quick!).

She's been missing over a week and they hadn't even bothered to try and find her. They called the vet 6 days after she went missing (the vet didn't tell them we'd also called apparently).

We called both vets, the pound, a local rescue, checked the lost and found in the paper daily, and had her scanned for a microchip. The rescue we contacted put an add in the paper and that is how they found her (don't think they saw it, I think someone else told them about it).

2. Haviris

Haviris Songster

Sep 4, 2007
    Well they came by this morning, she's missing again!

3. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Songster

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Now THAT is truly sad.

Maybe she's find her way back to you? And if she does, maybe your phone'll be on the fritz?

[​IMG]

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    Sounds like people who shouldn't own pets. Hopefully someone who takes good care of pets will find her and just keep her. After my last experience with finding the owner of a dog that wandered into our yard, we will no longer look for the owner of any more dogs that come into our yard. Around here there is a lot of neglect going on.

5. ducks4you

ducks4you Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    How far away from you do they live? How far do you think Piper travelled? I would really like you to be her new owner, but if that happens, will she wander from you, as well? Next time, don't bother returning her. Her owner located her only because YOU cared to do the right thing. Volunteering to contact them NEXT time would be the wrong thing. [​IMG]

6. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Songster

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    this same thing happened to us YEARS ago with a black lab. He was taken back by his owners and a week later they came and told me he was gone again. Well I found him in less than an hour of looking, they did NOT get him back the 2nd time. I told them that I had him and that I was keeping him, they agreed and I took a paper to them for them to sign over ownership, we kept him for 12 years after that.

7. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I told you not to go looking for her owners

8. Cara

Cara Songster

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Quote:Every now and then good owners do lose their dogs! In this case they do not sound like particularly repsonsible people, but who are you to judge who deserves to have their dog returned to them and who does not? You are bound by the same laws as shelters and pounds, to post the dog as found and allow a reasonable amount of time for the owner to come forward. If you think the dog is abused, called Animal Control or the SPCA and have them investigate.

Many times strays will look neglected, particularly if they have been missing for a while. That does not mean they have been abused or abandoned, and are not loved.

9. Haviris

Haviris Songster

Sep 4, 2007
    We are not super close, but she'd only have to cross a few properties to get here. Basicly just behind us is another person, and they are across the street from them. So far I haven't seen any signs of her, she doesn't like to cross water so that will slow her down. My biggest worry is that not everyone is going to be so kind to a large dog especially if she is in their pasture (livestock).

The people don't seem abusive, and they seem like nice people, but I just can't imagine not looking for my dog if one went missing, especially if I really wanted it. That said if she does show up I will call them, I know just because they don't care for her the way I feel she should be doesn't give me the right to keep her (and I think my closest neighbor knows her and would tell on me if I tried to keep her). However! I am only going to call them because they came here looking, if they hadn't I wouldn't bother, I think I went above and beyond the first time, now it's their turn.

I don't think she is a roamer, we had her for a solid week and other then allowing her in the house we did nothing to prevent her from leaving at any time, and they didn't act like this was the norm (they thought she might be in heat and that's why she'd left). She was stuck to me like glue for most of her time here. She didn't seem to care one way or another when they showed up (my dogs would have been going crazy after being away from me that long), and she didn't even seem to respond to the name they were calling her. Part of me just hopes if she runs away enough they'll finally deside it's not worth it and let her stay. But until then as long as they let me know when she's missing I will call them and let them know if she shows up back here.

10. Autumn T

Autumn T Songster

Dec 23, 2008
    Central Texas
    go out and call her. she was yours for a week and will remember the love.

take your danes for a walk...maybe she will smell them

we thought about asking for her.
    wish we had

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: