pipi shoulder??**Update**another update

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
Hi everyone, i got this little one free from tsc, she had a bleeding shoulder, that was about a week ago, it finally seemed to clear up, but it is very swollen i think- does anyone have any ideas on it? it doesn't seem to bother her, it is warm to the touch...

P1100344.jpg

P1100345.jpg

P1100356.jpg

P1100360.jpg

P1100362.jpg

P1100363.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
swollen and warm to the touch would mean infection or inflammation in a person, or other mammals I've worked with.

While I won't tell you how to treat it, I'll post what I would do.

First I'd soak that scab and try to get it off. With hopes that if there is infection causing the lump, it will drain out. Sorta like lancing a boil, but without actually lancing.

If chick acting OK after opening it, I'd apply some type of antibiotic to the open area. If chick acting weak, lethargic, I;d give antibiotics in the water, or directly into the beak.

Keep area clean as possible as chicks have staph., and the wound could enlarge greatly, quickly. Meaning the staph infection could spread quickly.

I'D WEAR GLOVES AND WASH IMMEDIATELY AND THOROUGHLY AFTER TREATING< AND AFTER HANDLING! STAPH INFECTIONS IN PEOPLE IS DIFFICULT TO TREAT!!!!

BEst of lcuk, and keep us posted

hi, i just bathed it, ended up putting her in a sink of warm water, she is sleeping in a towel on my lap- here is a pic

pipishoulder.jpg

we use here a drawing salve called ichthammol when we get splinters, i wonder if it would be safe to dab some on it? it is a little soft, a little give when i touch it, but not mushy

Here are todays pics, after 4 warm baths where i pour water over it, antibiotics and medicine to draw out the infection, seems to be coming down, she falls asleep in my lap after the bath..

the first image is this morning, the others this evening

P1050308.jpg

P1050317.jpg

P1050319.jpg

Pleaes keep us updated. I am very interested in what happens. Poor baby. YOu are wonderful to try to help her.

Last edited:
I am giving her antibiotic 3 times a day from the vet, and am putting an ointment salve called ichthammol, walmart carries it- we have used it to get splinters out, anyway, she seems to be responding...

Meant to add, if giving it a bath is too time consuming, you can get a wash cloth wet, put in a sandwich baggie, put in the microwave to warm it (not hot enough to burn the delicate skin), and use that heat to help as well. Now that the thing is open and draining though, you might could skip that step, and jusst keep the antibiotics and salve on.

Back
Top Bottom