Piping and chirping...no hatching...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jamezb_tx, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Jamezb_tx

Jamezb_tx Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    This is my first hatch...set about twenty eggs...about ten have signs of breakthrough and I hear lots of chirping...but this started last night and none have broken through...how long before they'll break out? Or will they die? Any help would be great...thanks!

2. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Could be as long as 36 hours. If they've pipped, they're on their way so long as you resist the temptation to open the incubator! Good luck!

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Patience, grasshopper.
    Can take up to 2 days.

4. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Be patient, the 1st is always a hair puller. Lots of help on BYC

5. Jamezb_tx

Dec 19, 2011
    Thanks for the replies...I'll be patient...one did pop out though...I heard a ruckus in the incubator...I'll wait until tomorrow to take that one out...maybe there will be more by then!

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Step away from the incubator and sit on your hands. [​IMG] Do it know. But do not open the bator while the eggs are pipping and hatching. They can survive in their for 72 hours. Sit on your hands.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  7. Jamezb_tx

Dec 19, 2011
    Sitting on hands...trying to figure out the remote...LOL! So should I leave that one in there for two days then...while the others hatch? Seems like the 21 days flew by...no the minutes are draggin'....

8. Jamezb_tx

Dec 19, 2011
    I guess it is okay if the ones that have hatched are bowling the other eggs around?

9. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    That first guy will inspire everyone else to get moving!
    He'll be fine, they can live on their yolk for 3 days, so don't worry about him needing food or water.

10. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    My belief is when one hatches they get the others active and help them to hatch. Just what I think. Is it not so exciting waiting. And nervewracking. I am on my 6th hatch and still get so excited and nervous. Let me know how it goes. And please post pictures. Lots of pictures. Oh and so sorry [​IMG] from Ga.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by