1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Piping at side? Pics... WWYD? Help meee and my one duck egg!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cdnley, May 12, 2011.

1. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    Duck egg is on day 29..saw a dark spot today on the side of the egg. Was worried. Went out and came home to find that dark spot with a crack on it..like a pip? I assume so the egg shell is pushed out from the inside. So what do I do? Duckie seems to be coming out the wong way or what? Do I turn it another way or leave it? Help!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    That's a great looking pip!
    Don't touch it, hands off [​IMG]
    Carolyn

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    leave it .. there is no way to change where a duck is pipped..

4. cdnley

Dec 7, 2010
    Thanks. My 4 yr old DD and I are watching it come out! A couple hours later and there is something sticking out and moving..pushing back and forth. It looks like I don't even know..I guess a beak with a little tooth coming out of the bottom part? This is so cool! Hopefully everything goes well!

5. cdnley

Dec 7, 2010
    What about air? Can it get air?

6. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    yes he or she can just sit back and enjoy the merical of life

7. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    without air it would be dead in about a minute.. If you watched it this long,,, it is getting air..

8. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:Little tooth is probably on top... That is their horn... They are born with it to help chip through the shell.. [​IMG]

9. cdnley

Dec 7, 2010
    Quote:Yes, duh, that wasn't a very well thought out question. I guess I just thought if it didn't come through the air cell something could be an issue. Now I wonder when he/she will come through! The baby duck's mom and dad (my only 2 ducks) were eaten by a fox last month and this is the last and only egg that I got from her that was fertile (another was fertile but stopped developing). I guess I am nervous about the whole thing!

10. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    we had a fox visit about a week ago.. My wife saw it as it was coming into the yard. she hollered and chased it away.. so far, we have not seen it return.. I think she caught it on it's first visit and it did not get anything to eat. so it might not be in too big of a hurry to come back.. we have all the free loaders here, fox. coyotes, wolves, bears, fishers, weasels.,hawks , owls,.. You probably do to..,

last summer and the summer we lost 40 chickens each to the foxes..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by