Piping on the side??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ssbs, Jul 11, 2010.

1. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    I've never hatched any eggs before, but my jumbo coturnix eggs are on day 16 now.. Lastnight I heard one chirping, I've got atleast 5 piping.. I KNOW that at least one was like that at 7am this morning, and still is.. But I've noticed that all the eggs are piping on the side, and one is actually piping at the pointed end (away from the air cell)

The one that I noticed piping this am isn't even through the membrane yet, some of the shell has just been broken away and I can see the chick moving behind the membrane.

IS this ok or should I worry?? What some be done??

Thanks

2. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    Don't worry it will be fine. [​IMG]

3. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    The results are in..

First batch of 25.. One egg arrived broken, one cracked on lockdown day. Sunday AM 9 piped eggs, one piped on the wrong end. 8 hatched sunday PM, with two passing shortly after the hatch. The 9th that piped wrong suffocated.. 10 eggs never even developed veins, 2 chicks must have died in-shell a day before hatch time..

The chicks seem happy, I've got a fish tank set up as a brooder. Last night they started eating right away, snoozing in the food between bites. Now they go in groups of 3 to grab a bite or sip of water

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by