Piping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kareninthesun, Jul 27, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    I started with 12 eggs, two hatched, the rest are rocking. Have the brooder up and toasty. The first out kept following the eggs and either edging or draping over them, and doing so, kept turning them. Three more started piping, but I think were pooped out from being moved. Just put the dry babies in the brooder and made sure the piping was facing where they started. I can see movement, one tiny beak in one. What's the norm for waiting without worrying once they start. Been about six and a half hours.

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Mine went more than 12 hours. They will be fine.

3. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Quote:same here, just go and find something distracting to do and come back and find new babies [​IMG]

4. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    What? They aren't the distraction? : ). Now, should I continue to remove the dried little ones instead of leaving them in the 'bator?

5. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Depends on how many you have. If you remove them, do it quick so the humidity does not drop and mess up your others.
    I have a Brinsea incubator, it hold humidity well. I can usually hold the lid with one hand and scoop out chicks within 5 seconds.
    If you don't have too many more to hatch, you could just leave them in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by