pipingduck eggs! ~cayuga, rouen and blue swedish

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MWHITLEY, Mar 16, 2013.

1. MWHITLEY

MWHITLEY Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    our eggs started piping today, (day 26) Im super excited! any tips on how long to wait before worrying about them being stuck? and any difference in hatching style of these breeds? I had chickens and ducks when I was young, and we hatched them. But that was about 20 years ago now and my mom had just used a shoebox and a lamp, lol. So any hints with the up to date info is appreciated. :)

~Alyssa whitley (stealing michaels profile)

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Ducklings take 24-48 hours to complete hatching.

3. MWHITLEY

MWHITLEY Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    sweet! thats what I had seen from my research, but I am a worrier by nature so I thought I would check again. :) anyone know of any difference in the breeds as far as hatching goes?

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I've never incubated duck eggs. I've got some chicken eggs in my homemade bator now. Its my first time.
    I don't think there is any breed specific things you need to worry about with what you've got.
    I have had a runner and 4 different muscovy hens hatch out ducklings. You need to make sure to watch your humidity level. Even under mom it can be an issue. I had ducklings shrink wrap after mom had left the nest because they were late hatches. I lost 2 chicks to shrink wrapping under mom a few days ago.

So in an incubator be VERY careful. I've been reading up on incubator hatching recently so (if you aren't aware) avoid opening the bator as much as possible. Keep an eye on them and don't intervene unless you need to. There is a thread about when to help and when to wait in the incubation forum, its about chickens but still.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by