pipped 27 hrs ago wrong end need advice pls.

tjabbie

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 13, 2015
My first incubator hatch 2 eggs, silkie pipped 5 30pm yesterday has most its beak out breathing..its at the small end ...i read assisted hatch info. Helped take bits of shell off carefully after 15 hrs no progress. My other egg pipped this afternoon and zipped out 3 hrs later while we were eating late dinner. Im worried bout shrinkwrap ive been keeping the outar membrane damp. How do i know when to help further ? Im so worried

just peel of the outside of the shell leaving the membrane. Its probably mostly white now so the shell should separate easy.

Once you have the white membrane exposed on at least half the egg then wet you hand in warm water (100 F) then wipe the membrane away from the wing that's covering the beak area (do not get water in the beak). The wiping action will make the membrane turn transparent and it should slide away exposing the wing area. Once you have that free gently lift and the head will uncurl. If you see any blood at this point stop and let the chick rest (after 26hours there should be none). The rest is a bit iffy because it depends on what you see and how much the chick wants out. Either way dodge the tummy area picking the shell away from its back area and it should be able to do the rest.

If you are use to doing this its a 20-30 second job once you are set up. I don't have finger nails so I use a nail tool, A lamp if the house is cool, have the water ready and a pinch of flour just in case.

I have no problem assisting a hatch if its not going right. Piping the wrong end or where the chick is making the pip hole bigger with out trying to zip can result in the need to assist (given a little time first). I have never had a chick lost due to a assist but I have had a chick that mother nature didn't want to survive that I assisted then had to deal with (some don't zip because they are deformed, Its a low percentage but something you need to remember)

Oh thank u so much for answering me. Its out i helped as little as i thought i should and yes i did help open that membrane..its out. Hatched after a little more assistance with small shell chips..what a beautiful thing to see. My first hatch and assist with incubator...there is a a tiny bit of egg sack i mean tiny..the babys exhausted lying on its belly all looks good i shut off the room lite let them rest now. Will that sack finish absorbing its mi'-nute.no blood anywhere baby looks great ! Inside the egg is dry xcept for the stringy piece of sack. 2016 blizzard babies !

That piece is still attached to the baby its flopping around and a hair size thread is still hooked to the egg. Do i need to do anything ????

Well i changed out the paper took the egg out laid babies back inside closed turned off their lite. Warm and dry in there now. The sack is yellow very tiny ...im hoping for the best at this point. Thank you..

If the chick is still attached to what's left of the egg shell after a hour cut the cord 1/2 inch away from the chick. I prefer on ones that I know have no blood flow in the cord to nip the cord while its still damp between finger and thumb to support it then pull the egg shell away as this stretch's and seals the cord (you have to be careful that the cord on the chick side is not pulled which is why you have to hold it). If not after leaving it for a hour or two to dry cutting it works well.

Most chicks will kick the egg free themselves which may leave a tiny blood spot. If it does that's nothing to worry about.

If you plan to hatch often you will slowly build up a tool kit (first aid kit for chicks). Consider getting chick saver (powder) or learning how to make it using water and sugar. I use it with a tiny dripper, laying the chick in my hand I drip chick saver into the crease of my hand so it runs away from the chicks beak. (don't want to drown or wet the chicks body) The chick normally only needs a few drops for a energy kick to get them started. Adding chick saver to the brooder water for the first few days is also a good idea if you have any weak chicks.

congrats on your hatch.

All is well thank u both so much for answering me with sound advice. The tiny sack dried and the chick seperated itself during the night. Not a mark left behind surprisingly...i did add a little sugar and marbels to their water and with my finger dabbed their beaks .. Temp brooder set up as i have 2 broody gens and neither one of their eggs hatched..i replaced my d uccles with fake eggs. The silkie collected eggs after hers were duds and is still sitting them. Im checking them 2nite and will attempt to switch out the eggs for a couple fake ones and give each girl a baby... If any eggs are fertile i was going to try and place them in my incubator to finish hatching. Its been almost 8 weeks for my silkie and 6 1/2 for my d uccle. Has anyone did this like im going to try or have suggestions to do it another way ?. Comments would be appreciated.

My thanks to u gpop1 didnt have my glasses on lol...i hate seperating the chicks im at a loss with only 2 i couldnt find anyone local with peeps or id have gotten them each a few more to raise. Theyve worked so hard to start a family i wanted to reward them each with babies. What do u suggest i do ?

My thanks to u gpop1 didnt have my glasses on lol...i hate seperating the chicks im at a loss with only 2 i couldnt find anyone local with peeps or id have gotten them each a few more to raise. Theyve worked so hard to start a family i wanted to reward them each with babies. What do u suggest i do ?

I would like to tell you that you could give one chick to each hen and they would play happy family's but that's not how it works. Hens can be tricked into excepting chicks and some hens will even steal other hens chicks but most will reject and possible hurt a chick that's not there's. Only close supervision will tell you how the hens will react to the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom