1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pipped and Zipping BLOOD ??? HELP **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gervais22, Apr 9, 2009.

1. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    Ok now I'm worried has he hit a blood vessel? is there usually blood there? What should I do??

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. gervais22

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    anyone?

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    He shouldn't be zipping if he's not done absorbing all the blood.....did you help get him started?

4. gervais22

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    Quote:No I went to see my eggs this morning and he was pipped, at about 1pm today he was zipping and now there's just a bit of blood where his beak is now.

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Well, I don't think there's anything you can do for him at this point, but cross you fingers & pray that he does okay. A small amount of blood will be okay; he may end up stopping his progress for several hours to allow the blood to absorb into his system. Hopefully, all will work out okay. I believe the longer he's in, the better off he'll be when he finally does get out, as this will give him more time to absorb the blood. Please don't help! Let him be...he'll work it out! [​IMG]

6. gervais22

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    Quote:Yeah I think he got a bit aggressive and hit a small vessel. seems like it's stopped now. I think he has also calmed down and is resting (and absorbing, hopefully!).

Send me some hatching vibes! I was nervous before but now I am crazy.!!!

7. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Good hatching vibes coming your way! I know, it's SO hard! I have to leave the house to run an errand, or take a nap or something. Seems like when I do that, I come home to new fuzz-butts chirping away!

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I had one with blood lines all down the cracks where it pipped. I finally figured out it must have missed the air cell and broken straight through the side of the egg. By doing that it pressed the membrane against the egg shell as it broke it and since they pip before they finish absorbing the blood I would guess they do lose some blood in the process. We probably just don't see it because the membrane at the air sac sits back from the shell and the blood dries before they finish zipping. That chick hatched out fine over night and I couldn't even tell you which one it was.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by