Pipped at the wrong end about 24 hours ago

ChickenMamaSarah

Songster
Apr 20, 2018
Austin, Texas
9E790586-3C81-410B-B338-0713D8D2B3EC.jpeg
46276F5D-19B1-4047-B47C-6FDE3CCAEC0C.jpeg
I’m not sure what to do with this little guy. This egg pipped at the wrong end about 24 hours ago and didn’t make much progress throughout the day yesterday. When I came out this morning I saw the egg looking like this. The chick is moving and peeping but the membrane looks dry and there is blood on parts of the shell. I’ve seen my hen pecking at it a little and the other five chicks that have hatched are walking on it. Any suggestions? I know these eggs take longer to hatch than others but I’m start d to worry.

It really looks about ready to hatch. If you would want to try to put something together to let it finish inside, I'm sure we could help you come up with something. Simple as a desk lamp, some kind of box, a rag/sponge for humidity can work at this point.

Is the hen sitting on other eggs?

I would love to do that if you think it’s best. I have a brooder box inside and a heat lamp. Tell me what to do and I’m all over it. I don’t have a thermometer though. Could it do it without that?
She’s already hatched 7 other eggs starting yesterday morning and has 5 more to go including this one. Several others have pipped. This is day 20.

Back
Top Bottom