Pipped at the wrong end and wobbling like crazy 16 hours later

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bhhastin, Dec 26, 2012.

1. bhhastin

bhhastin Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    Hey all, I've been getting some help in a different thread, but wanted to bring this new development up to everyone. My mallard eggs are at the end of day 26. They've pipped for nearly 16 hours now and two are pipped at the wrong end. One of those is cheeping and wobbling around like crazy. When do I decide to start helping the little buggers? I read some other posts where ducklings pipped at the wrong end hatched fine on their own and others that died if they weren't helped.

I have NO experience with this at all, so I'm very hesitant to get involved.

2. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I guess you have to kind of decide that yourself. Maybe when it is starting to weaken then you can help. I have never hatched anything especially ducklings, so I don't have much of an idea. Hope it goes well for you! :)

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Ducklings can take up to 48 hours to hatch. It is too early to think about help outs.

I am not an expert in this and have not incubated eggs, only let mom's hatch out their own. I did do some help outs on late hatches.

There are alot of opinions on help outs. Hatching is kind of a fitness test and helping may result in a duckling that has deformities or health problems (things that would have resulted in not hatching in nature).

4. Mac14

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    How are they now? (Hopeful face)

5. Mac14

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    How are they doing?

6. bhhastin

bhhastin Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    Sorry, I totally forgot I created this thread. I was getting help in another thread and completely forgot!

Here's the thread if you want to recap (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...own-as-hatch-day-is-today/35520#post_10145743 ).

Anyway, everything worked out. All seven of my eggs hatched and it was my first hatch ever, so that's really cool. The two wrong end pippers handled it themselves. There was one other egg, the last to hatch, that pipped and then didn't make any more progress after 36 hours. I helped it along, little by little, ended up removing nearly half the shell by the time it freed itself. Unfortunately, there was some bleeding from its umbilicus and it was very, very week for a day. It was hit and miss, but with some TLC, it made a full recovery.

All seven ducklings were adopted out in twos and one threesome to different coworkers with children, so it was a nice ending for all!

I might try hatching again when we have a bigger yard, but after the anxiety of this hatch, I might just get some ducklings also! Thanks so much! :)

7. Mac14

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Great! That s so nice to hear! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by