Pipped at wrong end and now no progress

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chanamarie, May 26, 2016.

1. chanamarie

chanamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    I noticed that one of my eggs had pipped a bit beyond the middle of the egg towards the pointy side. I noticed mid-morning, but no idea when it happened because of the angle it was at, I maybe just didn't notice it before.

I slightly turned the egg to the side (they are in egg cartons) to elevate the pip. But there has been no change (3:30pm now). Should I leave it? Try something (what???)?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Unless there is sign of distress, membranes, drying lack of response of chick to external stimuli, I wait 18-24 hours before starting an assist. At that point I widen the pip hole so that I can see if the yolk is absorbed and the veining has retracted and go from there. Often malpositioned chicks can get out on their own and often it takes longer because they are skipping the internal pip so it takes that much longer for nature to progress so they are ready.

3. chanamarie

chanamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Ok, thanks. Will leave it to the morning to see.

An already hatched chick still in the 'bator has knocked it back into it's original position. Should I leave it there or move it again?

4. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    Make sure the pip is up or it may drown. I've had it happen. Hope it makes it!

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You'll get mixed opinions on this. I move my chicks to the brooder and turn over any pippers that have been rolled. You have yours in egg cartons so I would make sure that the pipped end is up.

6. TS Ranch

TS Ranch New Egg

May 26, 2016
    do you here any peeping and do you still see movement?

7. TS Ranch

TS Ranch New Egg

May 26, 2016
    I have only helped 2 baby chicks out and this was longer after the 15 hour mark and they stopped all movement and were really struggling so I didn't touch the membrane I just very easily move the shell and in 20 mins it kicked through the membrane and everything was fine both times. the chick was to tired to break through the shell any more.

8. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Chicks that have pipped could take up to 24 hrs to hatch, no help needed. the good thing if there is a pip they have air, so they can stay in the egg quite a while. remember they can ship a chick across country for 3 days no food or water, so being in an egg 24 hrs after a pip is fine. some times they just rest the first 20 hrs or so, (at first pip they still have yoke to absorb) then the zip happens quick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by