Pipped but no progress???

Plant_Hoarder

Chirping
May 2, 2022
Hey guys, I'm hatching some chicks and it's gone really well so far, but one chick is struggling. It pipped 12 hours ago and made no further progress. It's alive, chirping and sticking It's beak out of the pip hole, but not zipping. I want to help but I'm not sure if it's still absorbing the egg yolk and blood. What should I do? Nothing? Help?

He's probably absorbing the yolk still. It can take 24 hours for chicks to go from pip to zip. Unless he seems shrink wrapped, I wouldn't help until 24 hours has come and gone. If you help to early you could hit an active blood vein or he may not absorb the yolk properly.

Keep us updated!
Thanks for the info! He isn't shrinkwrapped as far as I can tell. I'll definitely update!

He's probably absorbing the yolk still. It can take 24 hours for chicks to go from pip to zip. Unless he seems shrink wrapped, I wouldn't help until 24 hours has come and gone. If you help to early you could hit an active blood vein or he may not absorb the yolk properly.

Keep us updated!
He's begun to zip! But his beak is facing the fat end of the shell and he seems to not be able to rotate. Is it supposed to be facing that way? Is he mispositioned?

Back
Top Bottom