Pipped but not zipped when do you help and how???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daytonfarm, Dec 28, 2010.

1. daytonfarm

daytonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Maryland
    This is my first hatch and one egg pipped yesterday evening and as of this morning has gone no further. These eggs are very hard. Do I help and if so what do I do. Also I have one egg that pipped during the night but the pip is underneath the egg. I can see some loose shell. Should I turn it over? I haven't opened the bator yet so no humidity loss.

2. RoRoinGA

RoRoinGA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    NE GA
    I wouldnt yet. Some take longer than others. 24 hours with no progress after initial pip then I would assist just a bit and see if that helps. Good Luck

3. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    I agree- I always wait 24 hours!!

4. daytonfarm

Sep 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok I'll keep waiting, what about the one that has pipped underneath? There is alot of chirping going on so I know at least one is alive

5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Don't open the bator! I have a paperclip that I straightened out, and I'll stick it through the vent hole to flip the egg over if I feel I have to, but it may just push itself over with all that wiggling around. Give it time though. You may open the bator to help that little guy and end up shrink wrapping the rest.

6. mitch324

mitch324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Macedon, NY
    Keep the lid on. This is always the hardest part for me but they always do better if I don't open it the bator. I have had them take 48 hours from original pip.

Sit on those hands.

7. daytonfarm

Sep 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Okay, so the one I was worried about hatched. I have 5 hatched so far and 4 more that have pipped, one at the wrong end. Do you just leave the hatched guys in there until everyone is done? They are pecking everywhere like they are hungry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by