Pipped Day 23, Hatched w/ Help Day 24... Healthy! Hope for Late Eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by innof8happinesses, Feb 14, 2009.

1. innof8happinesses

innof8happinesses Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Our first egg that we have ever incubated hatched!!!! We were beginning to worry as there were no signs of anything up until Day 23. Then, the chick made a little pip. We waited 7 hours with no change, but we could hear chirping. So, we broke away a tiny bit of the shell around the pip and put her back. The chicky made a slightly bigger hole in the inner membranes, but hours went by and no more change. Then by bedtime, we made a little more "zip" around the opening to try to encourage the chick to hatch. I knew this chick was big because it was so late, otherwise I wouldn't have messed with it... Then we put it back in the incubator and waited. I woke up after 11:00pm and checked again... lots of chirping but still no signs of any progress. The chick had not moved its beak any further than the first pip! She looked stuck! So I increased the zip by opening the membranes around as well, since things were beginning to dry out. Then I put her back to do the work again...and I went to bed!!! By 1:30am 2/13/09 I heard loud continuous chirping! She hatched!!!!! My goodness, I don't know how she fit in that egg. Her adbomen alone was the size of the egg! I had to take her out immediately because she was tipping over our little cheap incubator and we had two other eggs on day 18 only.

Within an hour she fluffed out and showed signs of healthy chick activity. Now only one day old she acts like a 3 or 4 day old and is verrrrry feisty! She is a Black Australorp/Auracana Mix Breed. The pics don't do her justice, she is so cute! How do I send photos?

There is hope for all of you with late eggs and had temp control issues if you had a cheap incubator like us! We tried so hard and were so diligent but still had what we thought were unhealthy fluxuations! We are hoping now for a purebred Auracana to hatch from our flock [​IMG]
    ~Shauna
    & happy homeschooling children!

2. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    I love happy endings!!![​IMG] Congratulations! I had to help one of mine out as well. She is still my favorite chick!! I am glad it worked out for you. They definately fight hard to live and thrive! What did you name it? Are you going to hatch any more?

3. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    Oh and [​IMG] This website is the best!!! Lots of good advice, encouragement and positivity!

4. innof8happinesses

Mar 18, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Thanks! The older children let their 6mth old brother name her. So, hence her name is "Rah Rah"... The father is "Chicket", and the mother is "Peace"... My children love their chickens! Every one of them is special. We have 16 adults.

This is our first baby from them... We have two more incubating... We'll see how it goes. Not sure if we will try again or wait to buy a better system. This one was nerve-wracking with the temp changes for every little change in the inside or outside temp.

~Shauna
    Wife to My Soldier, Mama to 5 Children, Owned by 17 chickens, 3 horses, 5 dogs and 1 cat! [​IMG]

PS: Anyone know how to add my pics? I cropped them and don't see how to add them???

5. innof8happinesses

Mar 18, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    One Day Old!
    [​IMG]

Birthday!
    [​IMG]

~Shauna

6. mom2fourbebes

mom2fourbebes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2008
    Very sweet. Congratulations and many, many more!! [​IMG]

7. jensaisquoi

jensaisquoi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Livingston, Montana
    OH thank you for posting..I'm on Day 23 and really growing hopeless...I'll hang in for a bit...[​IMG]

8. innof8happinesses

Mar 18, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    "OH thank you for posting..I'm on Day 23 and really growing hopeless...I'll hang in for a bit..."

If nothing by day 24, maybe the chick (if still alive), is stick like mine? She could not move.... barely could poke out her beak to let us know she was in there!

Hope it works out!!!

9. jensaisquoi

jensaisquoi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Livingston, Montana
    Thanks! Love your little Rah Rah picture--what a GREAT name.

Yeah I haven't heard ANYthing, seen any movement or pipping. I had another post from a man who had a hatch start on Day 26!!! So I am not going to give up until then; if it's smelly, and if I see any pips or hear anything, I will probably intervene. Thanks for checking in! This waiting game is worse than being past your pregnancy due date, I think, because at least you know there's someone wiggling around in there...[​IMG]

Best,

Jen

10. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    She's adorable!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by