pipped egg but chick struggling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by utdlee, Feb 23, 2015.

1. utdlee

utdlee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    I had 11eggs in incubation,5 have hatched no problem. I am on day 24 & for the last 24 hrs I have had 2 eggs pipped but not hatched, one I can see movement in one but I think it can't get out. I had too open the incubator too Get the other 5 out that had hatched as it was getting very congested in there. I don't think this chick will make it as it is. Is there anything I can do? What's the problem?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

I personally am a hands off hatcher and wouldn't usually help a chick but if after 24 hours of being pipped and it looks to be struggling and trying to zip I maybe would at the end of hatch. Only though by removing some shell around where it would zip.
    Here is a link you should have a read through first before deciding if you should help or not
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

If you see any blood or yolk though put it straight back in the incubator. Wishing you the best of luck and hope it hatches ok for you :fl

3. utdlee

Feb 9, 2015
    Thanks Yorkshire coop. The link is excellent & will help a lot, just wish I wasn't stuck at work. The shell is well cracked & i have seen it's beak popping out now & then (last night) was still chirping but really struggling to make the brake for freedom. It looks like the outer membrain is drying up & that is stopping it getting out.thanks again.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    What date/day did you set these eggs?
    Did you set them all at the same time?
    What kind of incubator you got?
    Is it still air(no fan)?
    What day/date did the 5 hatch on?
    Has your temp been steady through out the hatch?

5. utdlee

Feb 9, 2015
    Eggs set 1st Feb, one hatched 21st, two hatched 22nd & two hatched 23rd, in a jn12 fan assist incubator with temp spot on through-out, temp reading not off incubator as it wasn't accurate enough so took other readings with better thermometers.got two eggs pipped & four others doing nothing.

6. utdlee

Feb 9, 2015

7. utdlee

Feb 9, 2015
    Thanks again Yorkshire co-op. I have just rang home after forwarding the link too my better half & she was in tears after saving the little chick.it was trapped at the narrow end with the membrane turned black, this is our first hatch, think the chick will be called Wendy after my wife to be.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Good luck. I have given up on helping chicks, I always end up heartbroken.
    FYI, if you set on the first, today is day 23. The day you set is day 0, day 1 would have been Feb.2

9. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Congrats on the chick :celebrate This is for your better half :hugs I hope she is not too traumatised by all this. Hatching is every emotion all rolled into one and can be both rewarding and heart breaking as scflock has said. She has done very well to get a malpositioned chick out these don't always turn out good.

Wishing you the best of luck :thumbsup

10. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You have to have some hot/cold spots in the incubator that would be causing the chicks to be hatching days apart. Do you rotate the eggs around in the bator for the first 18 days---if not it would probably help.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by