pipped egg with bloody cracks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Akane, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    What do you think..

[​IMG]

It started with a v shaped crack with blood along it and has grown while the others pipped. There's more blood staining the egg than is visible in the pic but I couldn't get my camera to cooperate at a closer zoom. My guess was it didn't break into the air cell but broke through the side of the membrane and the egg shell directly. Think it will hatch?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Don't worry. Just keep hands off that bator till at least day 22.

They have to break into the air cell before pipping, so I'm sure it made it though the air cell and just hit their own membrane a bit early and some blood came out. I wouldn't worry and just give the little guy extra time before opening the bator. Humidity is good to keep up, so keeping it closed is a winner.

Good luck!

3. Akane

Jun 15, 2008
    I wasn't planning on doing anything. If it makes it out before hatch ends that would be great. Otherwise I will check it when the others are done.

4. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Ok so I imagine this little guy is now hatched you've had so many hatches now right? [​IMG] I think these things are a great reference for others & btw GREAT cam show! [​IMG]

5. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    One of my eggs just did that yesterday. The crack was dripping blood, I was really worried since I have never seen that before, about and hour later I found a chick running around peeping. This morning its doing just fine, all dry and fluffy.

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Any news Akane?

7. Akane

Jun 15, 2008
    It must have hatched sometime during the night because I only have 2 eggs left in there.

8. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    yes that's what I'd thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by