Pipped eggs abandoned by broody hen, how to finish incubating w/o incubator?

pmcatnip

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 23, 2012
I have two babies that have pipped the shell and I need advice on caring for them so they can hatch. We don't have an incubator. These were under a broody hen but she abandoned them. They were chilled in the nest this morning but still alive and they became more active when I warmed them up. Right now I've got them in a bowl with ziplock bags of warm water and covered by moist tissues. I've been dabbing water on the tissues several times to keep them moist. They peep and move a little but not much. I'm concerned about how to care for them without an incubator until they're ready to zip. (They are definitely not ready to zip yet because there are blood vessels.) I'm also concerned if they will have the energy to zip after this ordeal. Because they got cold maybe they will be too weak? Any ideas what else I can do to help them?

I widened the holes just a little to check their status and stopped as soon as I found blood vessels so that is why the holes look funny in the pic. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: And I am aware of the problems with helping a chick out of its shell, what with blood vessels and yolk sacs absorbing and all that. I don't plan to do that unless I'm quite sure they are ready and unable to do it themselves.

Last edited:
100 watt lightbulb and the moist towels in a container with a thermometer try to get it stable at 99.5 .where ever u get a close reading put eggs there. make sure no hotter than this. if they piped they will hatch tommorow more than likly. u can keep them in there for a day or so. give u time to find something better. good luck

100 watt lightbulb and the moist towels in a container with a thermometer try to get it stable at 99.5 .where ever u get a close reading put eggs there. make sure no hotter than this. if they piped they will hatch tommorow more than likly. u can keep them in there for a day or so. give u time to find something better. good luck
wet sponges laid next to eggs works better for moisture but love your ziploc idea

wet sponges laid next to eggs works better for moisture but love your ziploc idea

Thanks! OK so I'll set up a light over them and put wet sponges in. Can too much humidity be a problem or is it only a problem if it's too low? I think I'll leave the water baggies as a buffer against temperature swings unless it makes a problem somehow. Guess the only thing after all that is to wait and see? I'm feeling hopeful. They're still moving and chirping sometimes so I think they have good chances.

they can actully drown in high humidity but it needs to be higher right now, i cut a kitchen sponge in one in. strips wet with warm water and lay around the egg, not touching just really close. dont forget the thermometer, we dont want steamed chicken! haha

they can actully drown in high humidity but it needs to be higher right now, i cut a kitchen sponge in one in. strips wet with warm water and lay around the egg, not touching just really close. dont forget the thermometer, we dont want steamed chicken! haha

when u go to bed ur baggies will get cold i would think

Well they both gave up the fight this evening. :( Oh well. I appreciate your advice and I have a better idea how to handle it if anything similar happens again.

im so sorry for the loss, wonder if mama knew something we didnt
idunno.gif

Next time, put them in your bra... Yes, I have done this... Long story.

LOL I could see that working I guess. I had them at the office with me so that would have garnered unwanted attention. ;) (Found them just before heading out; decided what stopgap measures to try while driving into town.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom