Pipped Just Above the Air Cell - Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cherlyn, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    I could really use some education on air cells. My duck has pipped the shell, about an 1/8 of an inch above the air cell border, if you can call it that. Before I locked it down, I drew a line showing where the air cell was - he has pipped just above it. Is this normal and good? He pipped about four hours ago and I have not seen any movement of the egg since.

~Cherlyn

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Up into the aircell is perfect. Down into the dark mass could be problematic. He should be fine.[​IMG]

3. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:Oh, thank you! I just was so worried - the egg has not moved for hours. Supposedly ducks rest for a long time after pipping, though.

~Cherlyn

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi Cherlyn--yes, that's fine! I hope my thread about my air cell experiment doesn't have you freaked out--mine all pipped in *approximately* the same location, but they were all individual by a bit. 1/8 of an inch doesn't sound much off. And one of them actually pipped up higher first, and then pipped again later in the usual location.

Also, my experiment included only 12 eggs all from the same two hens, so there is bound to be more variation in nature than was represented in my sampling.

I think the concensus is that as long as they pip into the air cell they'll be fine. [​IMG] Sometimes, they can be fine even if they pip in the wrong end, so you're definitely not doomed! [​IMG]

I can't wait to hear the results. Take pictures if you can (I just added some pics to my air cell thread). I'm wildly curious to hear if you have a similar experience to mine. [​IMG]

Heather

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh yes--and by the way--my duck eggs rest for 24-36 hours after pipping. It seems like FOREVER when you're waiting. But it's totally normal. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by