Pipped the wrong end!Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gbartha, Jun 2, 2016.

1. gbartha

gbartha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    My first set of chicks are pipping but one is on the wrong end! Is that chick doomed.....

[​IMG]

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The one pictured here is centered, still reletively high in the egg and could very well still be in the air cell as the air cell draws way down in the final stage of pre-hatching. It could very well be a malpositioned chick too. I've see a few #5 malpositions that pip directly in the middle. (Foot over beak malposition) My very first assist was a #5 malpo and she ended up being a healthy productive member of my flock and is now about a year and a half old.

First things first. Malpos often take longer to hatch. Many can hatch out by themselves, others need assisting BUT an assist can NOT be done successfully if the chick to egg vascular system has not shut down first. Often this takes hours after the initial pip. (In many cases 18-24, or more). So it needs time to do it's thing. I highly suggest giving it 18 hours, and if no progress, extend the pip hole enough to check on the chick and see if you can tell positioning. If at any time you are seeing veining and/or blood- leave it alone!! Chances are good it will still have veining and you will need to give it more time. Keep the membrane moist. If you have bacitracin, neosporin (withOUT pain relief) or vaseline, lightly apply a very thin coat to any exposed membranes and this will keep it moist. At 24 hours if there is no progress and you are comfortable with it start an assits, but stop any time you see veining/blood and put it back and wait. Assisting too early can cause the chick to bleed out. If when you extend the pip hole you see yolk sac unabsorbed- leave it be!!! Do not continue an assist until it is absorbed.

I do usually make sure that when I have a malpositioned chick that the pip has pierced the outter membrane because they do not have the air cell for air in a true malposition that has not internally pipped into the air cell.

If you need help you can also join us on the https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help thread -there's often someone around and you have a decent chance of getting help in a timely fashion, as long as it's not midnight... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  3. gbartha

Apr 21, 2016

Thanks so much. It just happened so I've got time. Hope it hatches on its own.:fl

4. gbartha

Apr 21, 2016
    Broke through! Good sign I hope. [​IMG]

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's good, you know she's getting air! Good luck with her! Hope you have good news to share!

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Now that pic it does look more toward the bottom than the previous pic. I wanted to add also to trust your intuition. If it seems like something is wrong or it's not getting enough air then make the hole a bit bigger before the 18 hours, just remember, veins and blood means it's not ready t o go further.

7. gbartha

Apr 21, 2016

Hole slightly bigger and she is cheeping. [​IMG]

8. gbartha

Apr 21, 2016
    She's out! Took her about 20 hours. I now have 4 total with one trying to pip out (very tired) and two that aren't doing anything.

[​IMG]

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]

10. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    20 hrs after first pip is normal. That is why people should not help at first pip.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by