"pipped"? ... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bothwell, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Bothwell

Bothwell Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Yesterday was day 22, and I only had 2 eggs in bator. One hatched in the morning, nothing from the second. The second egg had a "saddle" air cell, and I wasn't that optimistic about it hatching. When I got home it had several holes mid-section (right above where it fits into the carton. I thought, well, maybe I'll be lucky. The other chick was in the bator all day, very active and happy. The egg did not progress at all through this morning... and no movement from what I can tell. I looked closer this morning and it looks like the holes could have been made from pecking from the outside. Anyone have experience with a hatched chick trying to open another egg? Is that a plausible theory? My little one want a buddy for sure. Anyway, today is day 23 and if nothing happens by this evenimng, would it be OK to assume it is dead?

Michelle

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    yes that's possible I have had chicks "help" other chicks out by breaking off pieces of their shells, but only after they started hatching on their own.

Good luck

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Wait a minute. I had chicks hatch on day 25. Just wanted to let you know.

4. Bothwell

May 20, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    OK, I won't give up for a few more days. The shell and membrane have been broken, and the edges are pretty dry at this point. When, if at all, should I intervene? I know this has been talked about recently, with mixed opinion. I'm not sure the little one inside is even alive... the egg looks exactly the same as it did yesterday evening... hmmm.. I did take the chick out of the bator, so she/he wouldn't help it out anymore:p

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Can you wet a paper towel or wash cloth ( warm water) and put it over the egg but be careful not to cover the opening.

6. Bothwell

May 20, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    OK, I'll get a warm, wet paper towel around the egg. Thanks!

7. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Any change?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by