pipped through shell but not membrane?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cici_p, Apr 12, 2009.

1. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Is this bad?
    I am worried since my humidity was low for a while.
    One of my chicks has been busily picking away at the shell, but the membrane is still intact.
    Is it okay that his beak isn't peeking through yet?

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    It should poke through the membrane in due time. I am sure its nothing to worry about. Good luck w/your hatch!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Patience.

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    What is the humitity at now? How long has the egg been pipped through the shell but not the membrane? Chicks CAN take up to 24 hours to hatch, they can become tired and take a nap during the process. More info needed here. Good luck

5. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Patience? What is that?
    The humidity is between 65-70%, just had a short drop last night and this morning to 48%.
    I just wanted to make sure this was normal in the process of hatching.

6. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Everything is fine, chill out. A good way to pass the time while waiting is staying on BYC. If you are extremely concerned than go to your bator and "cheep" at it. This is what the mother hen does to encourage her chicks to hatch and don't forget to laugh at yourself for doing this. Video tape helps but I have to hide all mine. [​IMG]

7. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I had this same problem today and being a newbie I decided to help, well luckily I had read enough to know when I saw blood to stop but I would not recommend helping and probably won't do it again unless it is an emergency after 2 days. My chick turned out okay but wasn't ready and the best advice I can give you is the advice you will find on here over and over again, leave the lid on the incubator and leave your eggs alone. It will happen in due time.

8. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Ok, never mind, I can see beak now!!!!!!
    This patience thing. . . could somebody demonstrate that for me please? I need to get a better idea of how it works. . .

9. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I had the same question yesterday. The membrane looked dry so I was freaking out that it was shrink wrapped....Im still not sure which membrane would shrink wrap them.

10. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    chilling in muscadine wrote: "A good way to pass the time while waiting is staying on BYC"

Yes, good advice. What do you think I have been doing?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by