Pipped wrong place - help please

Courtney1

Hatching
Nov 23, 2016

Hi folks, 1st of 3 bantam eggs pipped 12h ago. Membrane tanning and not open so I opened the membrane as in pic and put it back. Should I just leave it now or should I try to find the beak?

I would leave it be for now- 65% should be fine. I've had a chick pip on the wrong side and still be able to hatch by its self, but most of the time they need help. I only help it out if it's been struggling for over 24 hours and is not making any progress. Try to open the incubator as little as possible, and if you do open it, throw a warm, wet piece of paper towel to quickly raise the humidity.

Keep us updated on how it goes and good luck.

Right, no progress overnight other than pip in another egg - also malpositioned
1f610.png

I have proceeded with the assist!

It looks a though the chick can't move about. The membrane is set back from the eggshell. I'm not sure if I should be peeling the membrane off or just the shell. Any recommendations? 24h now since first pip.

Hi, I had this experience recently. I would peel back the membrane as long as there is no blood, otherwise I find it dries to the chick. We had to completely hatch ours, he took a bit of work getting him to feed properly, and I wonder if we left it too long. He got there in the end but is smaller than the others. Good luck, there is some good assisted hatching info on here.

Back
Top Bottom