Pipped, zipped, progress over 12 hours (hatched!) ok?

bzbrown

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Twentynine Palms, California
The biggest issue here is that I am impatient, and this little guy is in no hurry. That said, these pics were taken about 12 hours apart. He seems to nap in between rocking and rolling. Then wakes up chirps like a wild chicken does a little work and back to sleeping.

Whats the opinion on the progress pics? He doing good? I don't want to help him unless he really needs it. Pip was yesterday afternoon. Temp between 99 and 102 but fluctuates so quickly I'm guess the egg core stays at a median of 100. Humidity between 66 and 71.

20111124_10.JPG

20111125_2.JPG

The picture below was taken at about 1 PM this afternoon. So about 22 hours after pipping. Still very much alive, and nappy before his crazy little peeping/rocking fits. Just asking again on from others more experienced how we're looking at this point. As it stands he's going to be an "only chick" I'd be heartbroken if something happened and I hadn't done all I could...

20111125_4.JPG

The baby is here! I got to snap a quick picture earlier. He's so sweet, and LOUD! His new momma is going to be delighted!

thanks.jpg

Last edited:
Hello there!! and hope all is well
I know the feeling about being impatient, but I think it will do fine. What breed of chicks?
Ayda

My first (only successful) hatch had a chick that did that. I discovered he'd pipped around 5pm. At 7am, the hole was only a tiny bit bigger, but then he got to work. At 7:30am, it looked like this:
afd18460.jpg

7:35 it looked like this:
4fea2bb7.jpg

and at 7:39:
baa1ef31.jpg

Once he got it in his head that he wanted out, it went very quickly.

The breed is hatchery Buff Orpington. I am so surprised that this is the chick that is hatching as the egg was small and narrow. It really had no definable fat or narrow end. I am so excited that this one made it!

She is now at her mama's house! I'm so thankful for the chance to work on my incubating skills without having to build a new coop just yet. Hopefully we get to see pics soon!!! I have tons from this morning, but I can't wait to see her in her new home :)

She is settling in to her new digs. She appeared to be a little cold when I got her home as she was shivering. As soon as i set up the heat lamp she did this.

chicksleeping.jpg

After about 30 minutes she was up and looking around.

chickstanding.jpg

eyeballingwater.jpg

takingapeek.jpg
I got her to take a little water off of my finger and she has pecked a few times at the food. Doesn't seem to interested in food yet. She is so tiny!

Back
Top Bottom